Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to site. What do you like about Philco?

New to the site. Found a reference to this forum on another site. Was impressed by a busy forum dedicated mainly to Philco. Working on my third old radio, have yet to come across a Philco. So... the first question that came to mind after finding the site was, what is it about Philco that inspired so much dedication to this brand of radio. Have experience on two Zenith's and one Wilcox-Gay. Let me know why my next radio should be a Philco. This question is not a jab in any way. Just friendly curiosity.

Philcos were good quality radios for the money and still are. They are about average in difficulty to work on - once you master the little Bakelite blocks. The high-end or TOTL models interest me the most. Some of them have very nice cabinets (I prefer to avoid the 1938s). The Philco cathedrals are classic.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Also, when it came to circuitry, Philco was at the root of quite a few innovations.
AFC (automated frequency control) is one.
Remote control is another.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Even some of the 5, 6 tubers were pretty decent and I have a 50s set that while small is very hot on AM. Something for everyone. 
The FM Philcos not so much for me, prefer a Zenith in that area. Hope you find a Philco.

Paul

Tubetalk1

All sounds good, thanks for your replies. Began searching around the library and found much needed factory hints and tips that will come in handy for what ever old radio I work on. Spent 36 years in electronics, transistor and digital. Tube type is a different world. Construction of parts, names of components, and in some cases, schematic symbols have changed. The instructions for tuning my first AM radio, 2 turns loosely coupled to wavemagnet, was embarrassingly puzzling. But I try putting myself in the place of those long ago techs when this was cutting edge technology. They had to know their stuff, and I'm still trying to catch up. My Zenith model H723 has beautiful FM reception with outstanding sound just from a 68 year old rubber cement patched mono speaker. AM not so hot but then most stations within 20 to 30 miles from me are just 1000 watt transmitters. Will start keeping my eye out for a Philco radio. This many enthusiasts can't be wrong.

Welcome to the Phorum nice place to hang around on the internet. David

A calm, friendly, helpful place would be nice for a change. Need to visit the Phorum library and do some more reading.

For a change...where were you hanging out before?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well morzh I'll let forums be what they want to be, naming them won't change them.

There are Non philco discussion areas on this site as well... We gotcha covered.. Icon_biggrin

Steve

Yep, Found it. Thanks Steve