Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New guy with a Philco 37-675X deluxe? Need info and a couple of knobs/

Gentlemen,

I have a couple of old radios, A Fada tabletop and a Telefunken SW, but I just picked up a very nice Philco 37-675 off Craigslist. It has 6 round feet and the cabinet is in pretty nice shale.  Label on the back indicates 37-675.    It sort of hums and makes noise when turned on, but no real time spent tuning it yet.  Looking here first, I  see it could be a Deluxe model???  Has ship-shore and other thins on dial.  I really want more info so I know more about it before turning it on for a while.  The On/Off/Bass switch may be missing.  PO just plugged it as a demo for the sale to me.  Is there somewhere I can get a copy of the owner manual?   I will also need the on/off switch & knob and a knob for the "Magnetic out/Tuning in" switch.  I'll get some p[ics up tomorrow.  Any info is greatly appreciated.  This is a very neat piece.  We have a 30's Art Decco bedroom suit and this radio looks right at home with the other stuff in there.

Thanks,
49T&C

Welcome to the Phorum!

First stop is the Philco Gallery:
https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1937a/#...X_Standard

The main difference between the 37-675 'Standard' and 'Deluxe' is that the Deluxe has an "Automatic Tuning" dial which lets you quickly dial in a station preset while the 'Standard' has, well, a standard dial. The standard does have a shadow meter to aid tuning which the deluxe does not have. Philco did a similar thing with the 37-116 'Standard' and more common 'Deluxe' version.

According to the gallery link the 'Standard' version is the more common of the 37-675 models (7,200 vs 1,500 produced). A great looking set either way - and with 12 tubes it will be an excellent performing broadcast AM and shortwave radio once restored.

We have a variety of scans of owners manuals on the Philco Library site under Documents -> Philco Documents -> Manuals:

https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...s/manuals/

It doesn't like we yet have a scan of the manual for the 37-675 specifically though.

You might be just as well served by the Philco Service Bulletin #261 for the 37-675 which you can find a scan of here by searching:
https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...bulletins/

Now for some advice - you probably don't want to run the set any more without replacing at least the filter capacitors otherwise important (and hard to replace) components can be damaged.

If you want the set to really work as intended you'll want to go through and replace all of the paper capacitors (both in bakelite blocks and tubular versions) and replace any out of tolerance resistors, replace any weak tubes, etc.

You'll find lots of help here on the Phorum in you decide to embark on a radio restoration adventure of your own.

Thank you Nathan, just the info I was looking for. I did look at the gallery as soon as I found this site and the De Luxe model pic is exactly as the one I've got. It is missing a couple of small pieces of veneer off the speaker grille trim, bit the rest of the cabinet is pretty nice. I'm not brave enough to get into the chassis and electronic components, so this might just be a static piece for now. If anyone has a copuple of knob and the on/off switch, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Chuck

Sure. Makes sense. Try making a separate post in the Wanted section for the knobs. They also show up on eBay pretty regularly.

The triangular knob in the center is the band switch. On/off is one of the round knobs (probably left one).