Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice needed on purchasing a Philco 40-165

Hello,
I have been searching the web most of the day looking for info on the 40-165 floor radio. I found one in excellent cosmetic shape, but is not playing.
Does anyone know the good,the bad and the ugly about this radio style ? I like the smaller size of this radio, I am a beginner to collecting radios. I have
been collecting older (1950 ish) turntables and my interests have expanded to radios. I am going to restore an AA5 radio to learn on before trying this one.
Just wondering how good the shortwave is on this radio, as well as is there any problematic quirks with it ? All advice is appreciated !
Thanks, Dan

Ok, I bought this radio (40-165) I am going to work on a few AA5 radios before taking on this one. But in the meantime I want to start collecting info (which seems hard to find, based on this post) Is the Book "Philco Radio 1928-1942: A Pictoral History Of The World's Most Popular Radios" a good place to start ? or does this cover to big a range of radios to help me ? Just collecting info on this radio, I enjoying learning about my projects before diving in. I have read posts on this forum about the rubber wire's, sounds like fun ! I plan on replacing all rubber wires and capacitors. Just collecting info, all help is appreciated.
Dan

Hi Dan

Congratulations on your acquisition!

I know all about that "Philco Radio" book; I wrote it 18 years ago (wow, has it really been that long?). Icon_smile I've learned a lot more about the subject of Philco since then, a lot of which I've tried to share on my website and here in the Phorum.

But I digress...the book covers Philco models made, as the title implies, between the years 1928 and 1942. Once I finish rebuilding my website's Philco Radio Gallery, you won't really need the book, but you can still feel free to purchase it if you like.

You are aware of the rubber-covered wiring...so you know that restoring this radio will be somewhat difficult.

Good luck, keep checking in here and feel free to ask lots of questions.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Dan, Ron is too modest, it's a great book. If you're sold on Philco radios, buy the book and use Ron and Chucks websites. They're probably the only one's you'll ever need...keep us up to date on the restoration progress! Icon_smile

Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Hello Ron,
I knew you wrote the book, Thats why I figured this was a good place to ask about it !
I was over at your website before posting this, and found as you said it was under construction.
What I didnt know is that it was over 18 years ago you wrote the book, it is still easilly available so it has stood the test of time !
Congrats on that ! I will get the book, for reference and to have on the coffee table next to the radio to generate discussion.
Websites are nice, but you still cannot beat a good book (Im showing my age LOL) I have been lurking around the forum learning a lot.
Thanks,
Dan

joeswl Wrote:Dan, Ron is too modest, it's a great book. If you're sold on Philco radios, buy the book and use Ron and Chucks websites. They're probably the only one's you'll ever need...keep us up to date on the restoration progress! Icon_smile

Joe

Hello Joe,
Another Michigander ! Thanks for the advice on the book, we posted at the same time. Like I said, I will get the book. Thanks for answering my question.
I know I will have more ! Hmmmmm....... now to find Chucks website !
Dan

dan d Wrote:Hmmmmm....... now to find Chucks website !

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron,
I found it and ordered some schematics for my radio !

Put it this way, if you can repair a rubber wired Philco you can repair almost anything. Philcos aren't always easy sets to repair, Mr. Ramirez offers a coil rewinding service for a good reason since it was a known fault with some models. But once they are working properly I haven't found any to be a mediocre performer, even the AC/DC Transitone sets, which also used rubber covered wire.
To be fair rubber jacketed wiring was uniquely a Philco problem, most manufacturers in the early 40s, and even after the war, used it. I had to almost completely rewire a Crosley AC/DC set a few years ago and it was a 1946-47 model, once I started replacing the condensers and disturbing the old wiring much of the old stuff started flaking off, I used 18 gauge solid core vinyl covered stuff to replace it.
Best Regards
Arran