Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 49-1602

[attachment=22841][attachment=22841]         New to the PHILCO Phorum so if I do something incorrectly pleas let me know. Just inherited a Model 49-1602 and trying to determine a value.  Radio works well and the 78RPM player works mechanically but no sound.  Any help is appreciated.

Hi Rick,
Locate the two wires on the back of the tone arm cartridge with your finger or a screw driver touch 
Where there connected if you get a hum that will tell you the cartridge is bad.
Forrest.

Hi Forrest

I will give it a try. Thank you.

Hi Rick, welcome to the Phorum. Your record player originally came with the P30 crystal cartridge which has probably dried out by now and won't produce any signal. If you need to replace it you can find a ceramic cartridge kit at thevoiceofmusic.com for $32. https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/...es=Crystal
I put one in a RCA phonograph and it works fine. More advice: Try to avoid powering up the radio until you have replaced the old capacitors, waxed paper and electrolytic. If you don't replace them you risk damaging parts that are difficult to find or replace. Guidance to do this can be found elsewhere on this site. GL with the inheritance.
Rod

Hi Rick,
Rob is rite probably bad cartridge, if you have hum with radio on and volume turned all the way down you have bad electrolytic filters you will have to replace them.
Forrest.