Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what to do next

I replaced all caps , and every resistor .Bought a extra tube80, 45,24, and27 still has low volume. Can i check tubes with a digital meter?
What would i check next? Ifixed dial lamp. Cleaned tuner no still wool. Real nice cabinet . When i turn volume control gets a little louder 1/4 turn then stays same.
Denver Icon_rolleyes Icon_idea

Denver,
First, it would help if you posted the model number of your radio.
Regarding testing the tubes with a DMM, the only thing you can check is the condition of the filament.

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Sorry,got caught up forgot philco model 111

With the set off flip it over so the bottom is up and you can see all of the tube sockets. Go to one of the 45 tube sockets and connect your minus meter lead to one of the two fatter pins of the 45. It doesn't matter which one. Set your meter for DC volts. The range should be set at 500v if it isn't one that doesn't do it automatically. Turn the set on. Carefully measure the voltages on the two small pins of the 45 tube. Then leave the minus lead where it is and measure the voltages on the two smaller pins on the other 45 tube.
Tell me what'ch got
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Will do let you know sat evening. thanks alot denver

Checked 45 sockets nothing does this mean push pull input trans out? If so where do i get one?
I dont think i could rewind one of theses. any way to bypass it? If it matters one 45 tube lghts one dont.
Thanks Denver

So tell me what you found.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Checked again 2.2 across filemants barley 2 at plates. Checked all wires from sockets to trans to speaker socket to filter choke and tone control .
and volume control. All good.

Here's how to count the pin#'s on your tubes: On your #45 tube you should show from pin1 or 4 to pin 2 about 250v or so. From pin 1 or 4 to pin 3 you should show about -60v. This goes for both tubes. As I mention before you can leave the minus lead on one tube while measuring the other.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I'm not too concerned about the filament voltage. What do you have from filament to plate and the filament to control grid?? Please tell me what you are showing on both tubes.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Going to go get another meter. Have some for when i work on houses digital doesnt have dc for some odd reason.
Let you know soon as i get back . Denver Icon_redface

Real sorry .Checked with meter just like you showed getting nothing . Check meter on other places it works. Needle barley moves on 1 to 4 to 2 or 3.
One of tubes 45 light up why not showing some voltage? Icon_rolleyes Icon_confused:

You said that one of the 45's doesn't light up. Remove it from the set and swap it with one that does.Does it light now? If not remove it and measure the resistance across the two fat pins (1 and 4). Should show a short, if not the filament is burned out or it has a bad connector where it is solder onto the base. If you are lucky you can try resolded it and should light if not it's a dud.If it does light when you put it in the other socket clean socket. If you are not showing any voltage from the filament to the grid or plate you shouldn't be hearing any thing. radio would be doa. Check meter.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

THANKS alot will do you are great help . LET YOU KNOW. please bare with me.
Denver Icon_razz Icon_biggrin

To answer your question the filament voltage on your 45's 2.5v ac.If you are using an analog meter you may have the range set too high to measure this small voltage. If your dial lamp is on (working) you should have filament voltage at the 45's. They are wired together.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry