Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

TrueTone Model D-2026 series B Manual

Find I am in need of some help. Bought a group of five radios. One that caught my eye and have begun working on is a TrueTone Model D2026 series B.
it is a 9 tube AM/FM radio. Problem is I am unable to find any resource for a manual. 

Radiomuseum lists a D2026 series A which has the identical cabinet and controls. Problem is a D2026A is an 8 tube model. 

Any suggestions would be welcome.

What does tube #9 do?

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

D2026A Tubes 5Y3GT,6V6GT,6AV6,6AU6,6AL5,6BA6,12AT7,6BA7.

D2026B Tubes 5Y3GT,6V6GT,6AV6,6AU6,6AL5,6BA6,12AT7,6BE6,6AU6.

Sorry I can't tell you what it does. Fairly new at tube type radio repair. Was trying to zero in on a schematic in a manual to help me answer that question.

Does you set have a setting for AFC ?

No indication of AFC on cabinet, knobs, or on diagrams on back cover. Right front knob labeled AM/FM/PH guessing for phono. It does have a labeled phono jack on back of chassis.

Just a guess in the B series using 2 tubes to due the work of the 6BA7.    https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets62.html

I'm thinking that this one has the front end you have:  http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...023734.pdf  You can use the Beitmans for the rest.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank You for your thoughts. Had not thought of two tubes taking the place of 1 tube. Will study Tube data sheets to see if I can piece that line of thought together. Have gone to Nostalgiaair and Beitmans. Studying schematics, parts lists and alignment for models D-2026A and D-2025A. Discovering I've become a bit spoiled with the half dozen radios I've completed so far. With out parts location photo's with matching parts list followed by matching alignment procedures it's tube pin to component to wire tracing to compile what schematic sections and component values  are most adaptable for what is in front of me. The output transformer primary was open so waiting for a new one to arrive to see if any sounds make it to the speaker.

Thanks

Tim

Have a look see maybe this will help. David

BINGO... Thank You David. That is the same chassis as mine. I had found the schematic and alignment on Beitmans for a 1951 D2026A Factory Model 8AF29.
Which is the 8 tube model ,not the correct one. 

You found the correct one 1953 D2226A Factory Model 9AF25B. The nine tube model.

The back cover on the radio has the same picture of the chassis as on the 1953 D2226A schematic. Only it clearly identifies it as a model D2026B.

So David you made my day plus have given me the correct info instead of me just guessing. In the not so distant past that would equal a handshake and three pats on the back from me to you.

Now with the correct info maybe I can find the rest of the manual.

Thanks Again

Tim

You are welcome. David

Since David was kind enough to post the proper schematic, was hoping I could move over to my next question on this thread.
While waiting for an audio output transformer to arrive, started making checks on the power transformer. Found the center tapped 
secondary to the plates of the rectifier open. No resistance across the the winding or from center tap to either side of the winding.
I've found a transformer made by Hammond the 270BX. Secondary outputs of 6.3 v 2A, 5v 2A. question is I'm not sure how to interpret 
the data for the center tapped winding. It's listed as 550 VCT 57.5mA. Does 550 VCT mean 550 V across the coil if the center tap is unused.
Or does it mean 550 volts on either side of the center tap connected to B-. Plus not sure if the amperage ratings are correct either.

Or do I have different options altogether I'm not aware of.

Thanks

Tim

>Does 550 VCT mean 550 V across the coil if the center tap is unused.

It means that the total winding = 550v and it has a center tap. Or 225v from center to each end is another way to state it. Some p/s circuits depending the rectifier configuration require a ct and some don't, your does. The currents have to be added up. 5v@2A is fine, the 6.3v you'll have to lookup the heater currents of each 6v tube and total them. The 12AT7 can be wired for 6v @300ma. The HV current I did a rough calculation and came up with about 50ma so 57ma is good.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Very good. I'll do some more checking but it looks like it might be a good replacement. Thank you for your time and info.

Tim

Came up with total heater current of 2.55 amps. Will look for something later today. Thought I saw some at Hammonds rated at 3 or 4 amps for 6.3 volt secondary.