Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

TrueTone Model D-2026 series B Manual

Other projects kept me away. Finally took some time today and checked things out. Plugged radio into the dim bulb tester and brought the voltage up to 120.5 vac household voltage level. Surprisingly  radio came up on A.M. tuned in several stations. Decided to take voltage readings while things were working again. They are as follows.  
                    Incoming power at radio on/ off switch,  radio on = 78.6 vac
                    Radio amperage = .36 amp
                    A.C.voltage across plates of 5Y3 rectifier = 366.9 vac. Should be 500 vac 
                    D.C. output of rectifier pin-8 = 200 vac  
                    5 vac output from transformer = 3.24 vac
                    6.3 vac output from transformer = 4.01 vac

Realized I had always run radio off of dim bulb tester and variac. Radio after recapping always ran at .36 amp, 75 watt bulb on dim bulb tester seemed just more than dimly lit. Decided I'd turn on the Talking House transmitter and listen to some music while I swept out the garage. Listened for about a half hour. Audio very clear, great tone, audio undistorted even at high volume. Decided to plug radio into wall outlet and see what things looked like without the dim bulb testers 75 watt bulb in series with radio. When I turned radio on noticed the two lamps came up bright and stayed that way. After 30 sec, radio still has no audio. Shut radio off and thought about things. Remembered I had plugged radio in wall outlet just one other time and that was the last time I turned it on and everything seemed to die. Plugged it back into dim bulb tester and all functions are back. Plugged it back into the wall and preformed most of the same tests as above. Radio back to no audio, seems dead. The results are as follows.

Incoming power at radio on/off switch, radio on. = 120.7 vac household  voltage
                    A.C. voltage across plates of 5Y3 rectifier = 556 vac
                    D.C. output of rectifier pin-8 = 366.9 vdc
                    5 vac output from transformer = 4.92 vac
                    6.3 vac output from transformer = 6.16 vac

The high voltage output from the new transformer was supposed to be 50 vac hotter than the original, and I never saw that. Being new with tube type radios and dim bulb testers guessing the filament in the 75 watt bulb was dissipating the hotter voltage and giving me low operating voltages?  Seems I'm just over driving everything when plugged into wall outlet. What would be your suggestions. Add a resistor to each high voltage wire from the transformer to the plates of the rectifier? Thought that would place less of a strain on the rectifier and place correct DC voltage on pin-8 of the rectifier. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Messages In This Thread
TrueTone Model D-2026 series B Manual - by TTech - 10-04-2020, 11:34 AM
RE: TrueTone Model D-2026 series B Manual - by TTech - 12-06-2020, 05:21 PM