Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

visiting from England....

I recently arrived in Baltimore MD from England to spend a semester at Johns Hopkins University as a visiting prof. While here I'd like to make contact with any Philco/McMurdo/Midwest/Zenith enthusiasts in the area (or any old radio enthusiasts, regardless of type affiliations!) I'd also like your advice on the idea of sourcing a 38-116 to ship back to the UK. Obviously it would involve time and expense, but the prices of these seem very reasonable compared with top end Zeniths and the like and they do seem like a rather special set. What do you think?
regards
Jonathan

craigslist is a great way to search for philco radios, look under antiques, then type in philco radio. i've bought some of my best radios this way, good luck!

Hi Jonathan, and welcome to America!

Have you connected with the Mid-Atlantic Antique Radio Club?

http://www.maarc.org/

Michael Prosise, who is a member of this Phorum, is in the area. He is very knowledgeable on Philcos, especially their first year of radio manufacture (1928). I'm sure you will be able to make contact with people who are interested in the other makes you mentioned through that club.

As for the 38-116. These are not that hard to find here, but yes, that would involve some expense getting one shipped to the UK. You might even find one in the Baltimore area through MAARC contacts?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Took the words right out of my mouth. You'll enjoy the MAARC publication "Radio Age" and there are local meets too.

I carried a 1925 Metropolitan Vickers floor model back with me, some years ago (and I wasn't even charged for excess baggage, though the set was too large to fit on the check-in scale, but those days are probably gone). I can't even imagine getting a big Philco back across the pond, but then, I know someone who shipped a multi-ton pipe organ over, and now has it set up in his house. Of course he's daft. (I have a pipe organ installed here myself. Pot, kettle, and so on.)