Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 49-1601 (was PHILCO Model 51-1733 Console)

We would like to know if you can provide us with information on the Philco-Model 49-1601. These are the questions we would like answered, if possible. Thank you!

1.Can you tell us the exact year this console was made?
2.We would like to know the speed of the turn table that is in this unit.
3.When we turn on the trun table on the sound is very low coming from the record, any suggestions?
4.What is the purpose of the switch that is above the turn table?
5.It only has the am radio channels, was this made this way only? By the way the radio works great!!

Thank you for taking the time to assist us with our questions. We look forward for you response.

ASI

I couldn't begin to be of any help to your question since my PHILCO is completely busted and I need components to restore it. I guess I better clean up the stats I posted as to not be misleading.

Hi ASI

I split the topic into a new thread since this is on a different subject.

To answer your questions, in order:

1. It was probably introduced in January 1949, so could have been built anytime between December 1948 and April 1949. The 49- in the model number indicates the 1949 model year. It is not listed among the initial 1949 Philco models introduced in June 1948, so it is probably a mid-season January 1949 model.
2. 78 rpm
3. The cartridge needs to be rebuilt.
4. Don't know what you mean by "above" the turntable. Can you provide photos?
5. If it only has an AM radio chassis, then yes, that's how it was built. Wouldn't you know it, I do not have the schematic for this model so can't confirm, but I assume it is similar to the 49-1600 and/or 49-1602, which are both AM only.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN