Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-14 Radio Tube Compatibility and Sources

Meghan

Do not search for the paper caps. Instead search for film caps of the same ratings and values.

Also there are (or is, I do not remember) an electrolytic cap. You could leave this one be by cutting the wires off and then buy a tubular one and solder it underneath. Make sure the old cap is cut off.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Something like this might be something fun to use:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-TV-ISOTAP-W...7675.l2557  It has 6 sockets which 3 are isolated and the other 3 are wired to the primary of the transformer as an auto transformer to lower or raise the ac voltage. In this configuration there is no isolation. There are several different models and the prices vary a lot $30-200 eeekkkk. There's a $40 one up for grabs. It's a little rough.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Meghan did you get it?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi,

Yes, there is one dry electrolitic TVA-1410. I will replace it with a tubular one and source the film caps (no surprise then that I could not find paper caps!)

And thanks, Roslyn for that link. I appreciate the help here. Seriously!

Meghan

Icon_wave
Meghan Bright
Writer/Editor
(970)889.4252

If you haven't found a source a lot of us here use  http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/  The caps listed as .05 uf on the parts list is a value that isn't a common value any more, it was superseded by the .047 uf. Uf and mf equal the same amount likewise with the uuf, mmf, and pf.

Would grab axial caps rather than radial type. You'll notice that the voltage rating on the mylars is 630v which is in most instants is over kill but it's not worth time the sort all of the different voltage ratings for the the caps. The thing that matters is that it's not too low.
For the electrolytic jobs would use a pair of 22uf @ 160v. This keeps it simple and give better filtering.

If you have some time to kill and you haven't you may enjoy this 1940 vid https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...#pid173596

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Terry!

I really, really appreciate your help. I am still on a huge learning curve but am optimistic due to this online group's helpful attitude. Perhaps these upgrades will eradicate the hum that so many others who have original parts experience as well.

Taking my time and doing it right!

Best,
Meghan

Icon_wave
Meghan Bright
Writer/Editor
(970)889.4252