Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith H500 Trans-Oceanic

The one good thing about a power outage no line noise! If you have something like a Jackery power station try it using a 15-25 foot extension cord. David

If I had one se with a 1L6, I would run it on battery to prevent smoking it.  1L6s are expensive and hard to get.  One of the reasons that my TO is an 8G005.  Funny, when I got it about 6 years ago, the battery actually had some juice to ti (nowhere enough to play the radio, but a battery that was likely no newer than 65 years old actually had some voltage to it.  Tossed the battery innards, kept the case.  Will prolly build an invertor (too much noise in the ones sold for nixie clocks, unless I have not found the right combo of caps to filter) for the 90V and use Ds for the fils.  Does work rather well, and amazingly, still has the original caps (will recap it) Bought this model because it is one of the more reasonably priced TOs, I like the Loctals (Yeah, I know that there is something wrong with me but no 1L6) and I like the Push Pull output.  Also have the 6G001 (Standard Broadcast) of the same vintage, that I rescued from a landfill more than50 years ago.  Pant and plating on these radios are phenomenal, they usually look like new!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Hi, Someone had made some solid state 1L6 I have one which I may need to restore a T/O. I also have a 50A1 ss for future. I saw a 1U4 ss and a 50A1 ss about $30 with shipping on ebay. I have six of these T/Os in various models two of them have been restored.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

I'm missing the antenna cable for remoting the antenna and one suction cup (of course the suction cup that I have is as hard as a bullet!)  I printed the operation manual from a scan I found on line.

Could you post the manual as a PDF? David

Icon_clap Beautiful job on that Zenith, especially in the recapping!!!!  Amazing how nice the paint finish remains on these units.  Dunno if everyone that I see either in the Phorum, on EBuy or the 2 that I own (An 8G005 TO and a 6G001 BC only) always have beautiful chassis.  My 6G001 is plated, not painted, but still beautiful.  Maybe the folks that stored these things over the years remembered how much they paid for them in the first place.

Is the wiring rubber?  Had to rewire the pigtail on one of mine but the other is original.

Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Forgot to mention how cool the clips for spare tubes areU need to fill that rack with tubes. Other than the 1L6, the others are very popular. Is that the military verion or were they olive drab?

Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Rob

H500 is my best sounding TO.
And yes, every single of my TOs and companions are portable.
Looking at the battery, we sourced the box from the same place. Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi Guys where can one purchase one of these battery boxes.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Hello Guys,
Yes, I have three TO's starting with the original one with the sailboat on the grille cloth I did years ago had the bomber one that I wish would have saved.

Sincerely Richard

Jim

http://elmphotography.com/radios/radio12.htm

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I'm curious if anybody has had difficulty aligning the H500's "spread bands", 19m & 16m to be specific. The other bands aligned OK.

If I recall, these bands have only one adjustment and are aligned at the center frequency. The two H500's I've restored these seem to be off quite a bit on either side of center.  Not that there's much left to hear on those bands these days, but it would be nice if WWV was at 15.0 on the dial Icon_biggrin.

I have to check, but now that I think of it, I may have aligned one of them at 15MHz.

I have another H500 and 2 or 3 other TO flavors in the queue...

Can't think of anything witty.
Greg O.
Whitehall, PA