Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1929 highboy cabinet door pulls

I have a model 87 highboy (not deluxe highboy with the disappearing doors) with broken door pulls. I found an unbroken pair of door pulls, but I'm not sure they are correct. My cabinet does not have exposed screws on the back side of the cabinet doors. I'm guessing that a coarsely threaded screw is mounted on the front of each door and somehow securely fastened, and then the door pull threads onto the screw. In Ron Ramirez' book, Philco 1928-1942, it appears this pull was used on models 40,65,76, and 95 as well. It doesn't look like this pull was used on any other model year of production.

How do I safely remove the broken door pulls without cracking the wood? Do I use a pair of lock pliers? Do I turn the pulls in a counterclockwise direction? Thanks for your assistance.

Jim Skelly

Hi Jim

That is odd. I once junked a Model 95 highboy that was in very bad condition. Its door pulls had exposed screws on the inside of each door. I think I still have them around here somewhere...but I have no idea where since my recent move.

I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions here. You might try carefully turning one of the handles counterclockwise, but don't force it. If anything seems odd, STOP right away before anything is harmed.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with suggestions.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN