Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

my latest project built reproduction filter capacitor

Hello everyone ,
this what I did this weekend  !
A reproduction filter capacitor for my Zenith model 908 .

First of all I used a wrapping paper roll for the cardboard filter can and painted it gray,
For the capacitors I choose metal film .

Here is a few photos showing the insides and as you can see I used my label maker to label the capacitors value and capacitor location . Hope you enjoy the photos

Sincerely rich

Attached Files Image(s)

very cool. More pictures of it finished and installed coming, I hope.

Rich;
  I didn't realize that brand Z used cardboard tubing for filter caps in sets that early. How did you roll over the end of the tube?
Regards
Arran

hello mike,
I will post some more photos tonight after work .
Arran I thought the same thing but the original capacitor was cardboard .
This was a fun little project and I will go into detail about how I made it .

Sincerely Rich

Many of them had a cardboard sleeve over a metal can.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

That's a tidy piece of work... well done!!

hello Phlogiston,
I have the original capacitor and it is all cardboard and it is a dry type not like the later ones.
Thank you Kestas .

Nice job Rich Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Hello Eliot Ness,
thank you and far my radio goes I am getting very close to powering it up .
I need tuner grommets and check a few more items including the voltage dividing network and audio transformer and speaker which has a hole .

Oh yes new power cord .

Sincerely rich

Rich;
  I have been saving cardboard tubes from rolls of plastic wrap and aluminum foil for just such purposes. They are great for making repro "toilet roll" electrolytics like they used in AC/DC sets, or even larger repro paper caps with the smaller kind. The trouble is that I now have way more of these tubes then I could possibly need, what I need are some smaller diameter ones like they use on wire coat hangers for making smaller paper caps.
Regards
Arran

Great job, Rich! Icon_clap Icon_thumbup

Now I would like to know:

What kind of caps are those? What is the working voltage of each? And from where did you get them?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Ron,
The two value of Capacitors that I used are Panasonic brand and I bought them from mouser electronics .
Here they are Part Numbers
667- ECW-FA 2J225J Desc: 2.2 ufd at 630 volt DC 5%
667- ECW-FD2J475JQ Desc: 4.7 ufd at 630 volt DC 5%

Sincerely Rich

Ron;
  You would have to check the spec sheet but I believe that these are also fused, so they will fail open should they decide to short. That's one good thing about cheap electronic gadgets these days, many incorporate a capacitive dropper rather then using a transformer, or switcher power supply, which means big film caps are available. Now if the cardboard tube were big enough you could fit a motor run cap inside of it, in the case of a single section unit.
Regards
Arran

Hello Ron,
Yes I believe I read that and I am not worried they will still live a long time .
What are the odds that they will short ?
Everything is overrated and easily replaceable since the fake capacitor is not sealed in any way .
Sincerely Rich

Thank you Rich! Icon_thumbup I will definitely look into those. They look considerably smaller than the Solen "Fast" capacitors which would be a big help in restuffing those aluminum can electrolytics.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN