Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Philco 20 - next project

While waiting for the chrome shop to finish my Scot Philly I bought from Ron, I decided to tackle this.  I need another project to keep my face out of the fridge.  I bought this back in March at the huge auction I posted about a long time ago.  A few underside repairs, but not bad.  Typical problems with the wood on the front panel.  It will stress my limited veneer repair experience.

Fairly clean.

With the sole exception of the filter block cleaning out, 20 is a walk in the park.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes, a simple TRF radio. I've cleaned out those filter blocks before and not a horribly difficult job. I like the fact that the PT uses a terminal block on the PT. I don't have to disturb the wires going into the PT. Some of the other wires connected to the PT are quite crispy. The rest of the wire in the radio appears to be "push back" wire without rubber inside. I may just leave it all. I typically like to replace all wire, but maybe not this time.

Oops! Bumped the dial while handling the chassis. It shattered! Very brittle. I'll have to order a new one from Radio Daze.

The grille in that set is not in bad shape compared to many of those 20s, repairing the veneer should be fairly easy as it's chipped out parallel to the grain. So a straight sided patch, followed by gluing, clamping, and then careful filing, and sanding around the openings, and the patches should be almost invisible, as long as you pick veneer with similar grain, and colour. I'm not sure what species of walnut was used in the front panels of these sets, I think it was French walnut, but Steve could tell you.
Regards
Arran

Yikers.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I've not found the wiring in my model 20 to be an issue, not that it can't be. Maybe I'm just lucky. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I think I'll work on the grille a bit tonight. The are a couple of pieces of the "core" wood that are cracked and loose. Should be easy to glue up. I'm thinking I'll use hide glue as it is easy to remove from places where I don't want it such as where I need to glue veneer later.

It looks like they used glazing to color the edges of the grill. Looks like they slopped it on as it ran down the back side of the grille. Anyone know what they used?

did a lot of gluing on the grille.  Everything seems pretty sturdy now.  Next is to find some matching veneer.  The quality of the wood that Philco used in the front panel leaves a bit to be desired.  A couple of more laminations in the ply would have helped.

Also started disassembly of Chassis.  I had to accomplish something positive rather than just disassembly so I redid the tuning cap.

Before:

After:

Beautiful- as good as new now!

Any tips for how you clean them up so well?

Be carful polishing the metal. If you remove all of the plating it will look good - for a while.

Fun with chemicals and electricity:

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/back-...th-5-f-134

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Russ, plating was put back on!

I did not do any chemical treatment.
I washed it in a dishwasher, dried it......does not shine. But does not require any chemistry.
Though of course, if this look you achieved is going to hold, it does look great.

Very good!

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Unfortunately, I can't do the whole chassis so it will look foreign sitting on top!