Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO 46-1213

Mike;
 The changer is definitely a replacement, the originals were 78 rpm only, and had a slicer on the corner like many 78 changers did. I think the unit in there is an older V.M unit, can't tell you the model. What does the printing say on the underside?
Regards
Arran

+1 what Arran said.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That changer was built by VM on the 46th week of 1958.

It's model number ( 1210B151 ) indicates it's from VM's 1200 series.

Thanks Arrsna, Ron, Ed - that is a big help.

I was wondering why it is "hotwired". The capacitor in series......I wonder why. The wire is from the chassis so short of the radio's transformer leakage and someone getting zapped.....or the RF filter C75 leakage, they decided to remove the wire and replace it with a cap; 0.01uF will limit the current to a safe, if still appreciable, sensation. I think I will start with direct connection as I have replaced C75 with two Y-rated caps as I always do.

So I need to find the service info on that VM record.
The rubber wheel idler feels hard. It is smooth and not chipped around, but no longer feels rubbery.

This radio had several problems that would stop it fro working so no wonder people gave up on it. Two tubes with shorts, one resistor which is a load, fully open......

The phono input works - when touched it produces hum.
Again, it seems hand-wired, a pluggable old stype RCA jack.

So the reason the turntable is not moving out is, it probably did not fit the old shelf so the shelf was either replaced, or...
I wonder why they decided to immobilize it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Took off the back bearing holder of the motor, lubed it, and put some lube in the front holder. Did not take it off - this requires taking the motor off and it is a bit cumbersome.
The motor runs fine; a bit of a hum does not seem to be loud.
Took of the idler. It is a double idler; the wider bottom one goes to contact the motor stepped shaft, and the narrow top one runs against the platter. The top is still rubbery but the bottom is hard.
Need to find a new one or try to ask Gary if he restores them. After all it is a V-M and this is what he does.

Also Ed Morris seems to like restoring these.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Seems like Gary has everything I need.
The idler, the motor mounting grommets, the needles.
I probably will buy the service/lube guide too.

The diagnostics stand Icon_smile

Clever!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes, very clever Icon_thumbup

Lay a piece of mirrored tile on the bottom and you might not have to stoop down as much to view the operation.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Johm, I would but ain't got no mirrors at home to spare. Icon_smile

Hey Mike, My dad had a TV/Radio repair business in the 50s early 60s and this was a changer cradle he had. It is fully adjustable for width and can hold a record changer at different angles. The name on the side is GC, General Cement! Might be a good tool for anyone who does a lot of service on record players if one could be located, maybe eBay!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

In High School metal shop that would have been a good project!

Paul

Tubetalk1

Ron

Great tool, yes.

I am not sure I understand how the TT is secured to it...or maybe I do, so the left side wing nut clamps the left lip of TT chassis between the two pieces and the right does the same to the right lip. Got it.

Yeah......nice stand.

Yeah you get the idea. The clamps are all just hanging loose in that picture but you can see there are green felt pads on each end that you orient them into the right position and tighten the wing nuts with the felt part on the top surface of the changer to protect from maring it!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Hey Ron, you got all kinds of goodies from your dad! First the Trol Master and now this.... I've had a search going on eBay for a Trol Master ever since mike found his, but so far no hits.

Sorry for the interruption, we now return to our regularly scheduled topic.....

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"