Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO 46-1213

H.H. Scott did the same thing.

Today I rewired the cabling to the turntable.
I realized that the shielded cable that had two wires in it was not shielding them well: when the wires were cut flush with the shield there was still a significant hum when the cable was attached to the radio input.

I took two well-shielded wires, ran them as a dual cable, used the two centrals as the signals, one coming to the GND, and then the shields bringing GND to the turntable's chassis.

It quieted the whole thing down quite a bit. The hum (at maximum) was not overwhelming in the first place, but what I did reduced it quite a bit. I also pasted copper adhesive foil over the wires that go from the switch (that disconnects the cartridge from the cable) to the tonearm (about 2 inches or so, so it was picking some noise) and soldered a short wire that I also attached to the GND I brought to the turntable's chassis.

I think I will stop my further attempts to reduce the hum as now it is not really pronounced anymore even without the music, and when playing, even not loud, it cannot be heard at all.

Time to put it all back together.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Have put most things back. Putting the chassis is a bit involved, especially top inner screw. I wrote about my knuckle hurting when I was unscrewing it - now it hurt when I was putting it back. Hole alignment, considering wood-to-wood rubbing, the chassis weight and the play is also a bit tedious.
But it went back where it came from.

The cabinet added depth to the sound and it sounds very nice. The phonograph also sound pretty good as again, added base helps.

I have found out before, the base regulator does not work with the phonograph. And this is not a bug, it is a feature. When I used a tablet as a source of music, it was the same exact result. However the base works just fine when the radio is playing. This tells me the Frequency plot of the phono amp would probably show real dip in the low frequency area.

I have a few lights and a switch to mount back, and this will hopefully be it.
I am thinking about maybe not keeping this radio as I have another with FM and a phonograph already.
Will see about that.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Question to those familiar with the pushbuttons of this radio type: the pushbuttons are covered with transparent caps that obviously there to keep a station name under it. When I press a button, there are those that, when pushed out will shoot the cap off of itself.
Are the caps supposed to be glued or what keeps them in place? There is no snap of any kind when you put them on.

OK. Just need to tack the wires.....

Mike,
 I just tried 4 push buttons on the chassis that I have and the transparent cover has small tabs on the sides and there is a feeling of a slight click if pushed on slowly at the very  end of travel say the last 1/16 inch.
                                   Henry

Henry

Thanks!

Mine (those that come off) do not have any click; Perhaps those that are secure have but then I am afraid to disturb them lest they lose their clicks Icon_smile

Mike,
 You can't hear a click . You just sorta feel it click or grab at the very end of going on. Do they have little tabs on the side? Maybe they were broken off.
                                                    Henry

Henry

Yes there are tabs; if you rotate the shell 90 degrees it won't goo all the way. But they look just like protrusion on the shell and the respective cutout on the base of the button, I do not see any way for it to grab.
I will look when I come back from vacation; right now I am in FL with my mom and the radios are, well, taking a break from my presence Icon_lol

Mike,
 Enjoy!
            Henry