Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-296 cabinet restoration thoughts

Hello, I am new to the forum and potentially new to old radio restoration.  I recently purchased a 41-296 cabinet because I liked the way the old cabinet looked.  It has a chassis inside but is missing the speaker.  I think all other parts are still intact as it has all the knobs, buttons, and the glass dial piece on the front all in good condition.  

I have seen a lot of posts about a 41-285 chasis in the 41-296 cabinet.  I am confused as to what the differences between the more popular 41-285 chassis and a 41-296 chassis might be.  Could someone clarify if I could these units use the same chassis, or how big the differences are?  From the pictures I have seen, they look very similar!

All of the tubes are present in the chassis I have, but the wires have been cut to the speaker connection.  

I am trying to assess how diffiult/expensive it may be to restore.

thanks,

Michael

Hi Micheal and welcome,

Philco sez that the difference is that cabinet and loop ant are different but the rest is the same. Have a look just above the parts list.
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20Book.pdf

In terms of cost I'm not sure what you are asking. To send it out and have done? Or to do it your self? Philco chassis from 1939-42 used rubber coat wire which after 80yrs is failing. In a lot of cases some or all may need to be replaced. This is fairly laborious and costly if your paying some one to do it.

Condition plays a part in it to. Some pics would handy a assess the overall condition of the chassis.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry