Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39-6173 Bakelite

I am a complete novice here and have one Philco radio with 39-6173 on a sticker on the inside of the cabinet and AX16093 stamped on the chassis.

I'd like to know what I have. Picture below.

Thanks...and if I need to do some remedial reading, just point me to the sources.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Hi William, and welcome!

The "39-6173" number you see is the part number of the tube layout sticker; it is not the model number of your radio.

The correct model number is TP-52. These were also advertised as Model UA-52P.

This radio was also marketed under the Simplex name. I suspect Simplex probably designed the set.

Has the part of your radio that is red been painted? The TP-52 was advertised as being made of white Beetle with a black base. The only photo I have ever seen of one is in a white/black color scheme.

At any rate, that is a really cool little set.

I sent you a PM on this subject.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The red color appears to me to be original. The unit has some chips and underneath the red is black. I see no white on it at all.

A handwritten message on the top of it makes note of the University of Georgia whose colors are red and black and is dated 1940, apparently contemporaneous with a UGA football game. Would this have been manufactured in 1939?

Thanks for the info.

Hmmm...very interesting. So now a color variation to the TP-52 has been confirmed.

Yes, it would have been manufactured around the summer of 1939.

Nice find!

Edit: I should add that those knobs are not original to the set.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN