Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

long wire

Have some diagrams on longwire antenna .But wanting to know does it have to have insulation stripped at main end.
Like if i go about 70 foot then a 15 foot span in between two poles. Does span have to be striped ?
I own couple acres in country. Local building codes ok . Going to ground it and lighting arrestor.
Denver in wise VA. Icon_mrgreen Icon_rolleyes Icon_idea

Only needsw to be stipped where it connects to the radio and where you install the arrestor

THANKS ALOT MUCH HELP.
DENVER Icon_razz

Denver, I'm sure you meant that you're grounding your radio, NOT the antenna! An arrestor is a great idea, and if you have room (and wire!) even 100 - 130 feet isn't too long. Enjoy!

Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Yes and thanks . Going to be around 100 foot 10 gauge wire pretty exspensive for antenna but what the heck. Maybe get some nice listen stations.
THANKS AGAIN Denver in Wise VA.

10 gauge wire is overkill for a longwire antenna. You really do not need wire that is that thick in diameter for a longwire.

On the other hand, heavy wire will be much more resistant to breakage in the wind...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

THANKS RON . That's why iam useing it windy in the mountians sometimes .
Denver. Icon_biggrin

Copper plated steel antenna wire is the best of both worlds. Strong as steel and not as expensive as copper. Copper has a tendency to stretch . General speaking its pretty soft stuff.
http://www.thewireman.com/antennap.html
Take a look. If you've got some tall trees get a sling shot, 1/4" rope(not closeline) a bunch of heavy thread and an old lug nut. Tie the thread onto the nut. Use the sling shot to propel the nut and thread over the tree. Tie the other end of the thread to the 1/4" rope. Pull the thread until you get to the rope.Tie rope to tree. Other end of the rope tie to your insulator. Your insulator can be a homemade job. A piece of small diameter pvc pipe with two hole drilled one near each end will work fine. At the other end of the insulator fold over and twist about a foot of your wire. Repeat for the other end of the antenna. Solder a covered piece wire to the antenna wire and use it to connect to your radio. Remember the higher the longer and the clearer (away from other things)the better it will work.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry. Your smarter than your average bear. You must be old country boy like me.
I was going to try something like. Your ideal seems alot better'.
Denver in the Mountians. Icon_biggrin

Just call me Boo Boo. Got some relatives down south that made an impression on me at an early age..
Terry
ps
Did you finish up that book I sent?
To others: It was a 1966 arrl handbook.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I wouldn't use #10 copper. Its size will collect more wind and ice than a smaller wire without a significant increase in physical strength. Copperweld is the way to go if strength is an issue.

Already have the 10 gauge i will try it .If it would quit snowing. When i was about 9yrs old my dad and few neighbors decided to run some ladder wire about 1/2 mile to a antenna
on a Mountian top . Trying to get nbc & abc broadcast . Did get nbc pretty good . But my dad wanted abc we hooked one upon house nothing he would turn and turn it nothing.
He got mad threw it on the ground i yelled perfect. Thats where that antenna stayed for along time. This was back in 1969 hard times i know. Just thinking back to the good ole days
simple times had it made .But we lost it like a fading station . Now everything all jumbled way to many have to not enough want to. I have rambeled on enough . Icon_cry

Over and out Denver in the mountians. Icon_razz