Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Batery Type/ Voltage Model 38 Cathedral

All right, I have a Philco Model 38 (Cathedral). This is a battery radio. So what kind of battery, voltage etc does this take?
It has the positive and negative clamps. Also the round pin connector, with several 3 pin connectors.
Any help would be great! Icon_biggrin

Hi Welcome to the Phorum!
It takes a big one! My friend Bill, he goes by Battermaker makes a replacement for it at about $75. I inquired about one for my Philco 37-33 I think your model 38 uses the same one. Here's a link to the diagram which lists the voltages needed:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/231/M0013231.htm
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Allright, thanks for that. I picked this old thing up at a auction for about $12. The case looks really good, but there is some minor wire'n to do. Hmm, that is a big battery..

I built a really cheesy power supply for my battery set. The hv is taken right off of the ac line. Like an AC/DC radio. Caution must be used when connecting it to the set and making sure the AC plug is polarized properly! Used a few dry cell for the bias batteries. Filament voltage is adjustable up to 6v or so
Terry

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry