Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Atwater Kent 82Q

This is the battery version.
Same cabinet.
Is it worth it? I do want an 82 but I want an AC version.
There is one on CL now, cheap.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

If the cabinet is in good shape go for it, especially if it's cheap. I think the 82 is one of the nicest cathedral designs ever made. You've got a basement full of AC sets, you need at least one battery version of an old radio.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Mike;
   I haven't gad a look at the schematic but many of those battery radios from the 1930s might surprise you for performance. One thing that they often have in their favor is lower hours then an equivalent AC radio, and a lack of heat, or high voltage, to stress things. If you had the AC version you would still need to take the power transformer out and replace the wires, as well as rebuilding the power supply, in a battery set you get to pick your own design since it's off board.
Regards
Arran

By "cheap" I meant $125. For AK82 it is cheap.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes, these days that is cheap. Go get it a'ready.

I used to own an 82-Q. Many, many years ago I was driving through Harrisburg, Illinois back when Illinois Route 13 ran along Poplar Street. I happened to glance over at a building and saw a cathedral radio in the window. Turns out it was an antique shop; I went back, went in, and bought the 82-Q for $75.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

In what condition is the cabinet? See if they will take less, $75-100, you never know, the fact it's a battery set goes against it in resale value, that and any early 30s radio is a harder sell these days.
Regards
Arran

Well....the set being a battery one is what kept me from calling this guy who is close to where I work.

Michael, two years ago I also looked very superficially at battery-powered radios ... But when I tried several radios, I was very pleasantly surprised by the lack of interference and clean reception. And anode batteries can be very easily made from 13 batteries from transistor pocket receivers such as " Крона ", you probably still remember them. Icon_mrgreen

Old Tube Radio Online Museum / Музей ретро радіо
https://www.youtube.com/user/RadioSvit?d...lymer=true

Sincerely Peter
З повагою Петро

Peter

I believe I posted my portable Zenith and Stromberg Carlson restoration on your website Icon_smile
So yes, I am familiar with the today's way of making the batteries; I used 9V for Anode voltage and D or C size for heaters.
This said, "Krona" (9V), even today's alkaline re-incarnation of it, are not good to power heaters - it will drain those within very few hours.