Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 12a58 cabinet makeover.

3 days into this zenith and I'm finished. New preproduction grill now available has been  installed, inside cabinet detailed and painted factory zenith blue. Custom color and toning done with grain filled veneered areas. Sealed and re sanded, 6 coats of mohawk semi gloss precat Lacquerer. No rubbing out. Outstanding example of a zenith console professionally refinished cabinet. Thanks for looking Fred Taylor Dallas tx

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow Fred, simply exquisite. All your refinished cabinets you’ve recently posted are better than factory! So I would like to pick your brain if I might. Do you have professional spray equipment? I have a Philco 37-116 floor model that someone kept a houseplant on and naturally it leaked water causing a noticeable damaged area. The rest of the cabinet has the usual number of dings so probably could use refinishing. I don’t think I will have luck matching the toner and really don’t want to try doing the whole cabinet with rattle cans. If I try just redoing the top, I doubt it can be blended in well with the rest of the cabinet because of the unique color of the toner!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Hi Ron, I use professional automotive spray gun for my sealers and lacquer clear coats. I would really have to see the top of the radio your talking about. You would have to strip the top and try and remove the stain. Worst case is to replace the veneer that's badly damaged and refinish .I  could match the rest of cabinet or close to it.. If were mine I would refinish the whole thing and be done with it.

Thanks Fred. Really don’t want to invest in a compressor and spray gun. Came  to the same conclusion as you, probably best to strip and refinish the whole  shebang! I’ve been putting it off for years now. Time to give it a shot!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Stunning, very nice indeed.

Paul