Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need VEF Baltika help

After obtaining a new power transformer for my Baltika, I find that it really likes the new transformer, it doesn't even get significantly warm to the touch.

The radio itself works pretty well now, except for one minor problem: The MW band does not work. The Local Oscillator is dead. If I insert a carrier of the proper frequency I can receive stations on it, but without that, nada. 

There is a coil on the bottom side of the chassis that looks as though to be for the MW band, and it has one wire that is broken off of somewhere. I cannot locate where this goes. I've tried touching it to various points close enough for it to reach, but still nothing.

I have what seems to be the only schematic available for the set, downloaded from radiomuseum.org, but it's of little help, since it shows no pictorials of where parts are located.

Anyone (Mike, Peter?) able to lend a hand with this issue? 

Thanks in advance for your time.

Brenda

I will alert Peter, myself I am not of much help as I have not dealt with these much; Peter might've.

Another thing - going to Russian websites of radio enthusiasts; they might have something. Of course it is anyone's guess if they 1) speak English, 2) especially keen on helping an American. But they might.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I wrote to Pete.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello Brеndа. There are three main models - Baltic RZ-1, Baltic 52 and Baltic 54. I would like to clarify the model of your Baltic, because they differ significantly in scheme. Please let me know what model you have and I will send you a diagram and take a photo of the chassis.

Old Tube Radio Online Museum / Музей ретро радіо
https://www.youtube.com/user/RadioSvit?d...lymer=true

Sincerely Peter
З повагою Петро

Hey, I got nothing at all against Russians. Not a Putin fan, but then I wasn't a 45 fan, either. Icon_smile But the people I got no issues with. To quote a 90's rock band.. "people are people."

Have a good one!

Peter,

Thanks. I believe this to be a Baltika 54, but I'll try to find the back cover later today and make sure.

I do know it's the model with the wood cabinet, four bands (LW,MW,SW1,SW2) and a phono input. The schematic I found on radiomuseum seems to be close, at least in the power supply, though the schematic shows 4 dial lamps, where my radio has only 2.

>>But the people I got no issues with.

They might have issues with you :-) Right now, let's just say....well, not to get political, it's a warning, many people over there are not exactly very friendly to anyone from over here.
Maybe one day that will be over. (I might not live to see it but one could hope Icon_lol )

OK . I am sending you all three Baltic models.

Baltic RZ-1 . 1950

Baltic 52.  1952

Baltic 54.

The main difference between the Baltic RZ-1 and the other two models is that it has only 6 radio tube.Models Baltika 52 and Baltika 54 have 7 radio tubes each
And the Baltika 54 differs from the other two by its permanent magnet speaker, instead of the combined magnetizing speaker as in the two earlier models. The most popular and popular was the Baltika 52, the Baltika RZ-1 is a rather rare model, and the Baltika 54 is very rare.

Sincerely Peter
З повагою Петро

Peter

I think Brenda also asked about the pictures of where the coils are located. Do you have the assembly drawings?

Photo 

OK, the information you gave me helped me sort this out. It appears to be a Baltika 52, as it has the 7 lamps, 2 dial lamps and electromagnet speaker. Attached are a photo of the top of the chassis and a photo of the wire that has come off of it's connection, it is coming from the coil to the left of the wire, which seems to be the MW coil.

Brenda

The second photo is grainy, but if my perception is correct, it is a low-turn coil with fairly thick wire.
Worst case, would you think you are able to rewind that thing?

PS. You are first American who call them tubes "lamps". I though that was us Russkies who do that Icon_lol
Or are you trying to get in the Russian groove with Russian radios and Russians being the consultants?

Brenda,

It looks like the coils in the schematic labeled L10 through L13 are the oscillator coils for the four bands. The band switches on either side select one of the coils to work with the tuning cap C3 to get the correct range of frequencies. Each of the four coils has a tap, so there are three wires coming from each. One end of each coil goes to the switch on the right through a capacitor. If you can identify which cap is associated with your problem coil then you can use that to identify the wiring for the coil. Hope this helps

Brenda, your photo is not informative enough, could you take a picture of the chassis in a wide format? I photographed the chassis of my Baltic 52 and want to show the location of the details. The first panoramic photo is a view of the chassis in the high frequency part. At the bottom right is the input circuit board, at the top is the local oscillator circuit board. In other photos, I photographed them at high magnification. I hope this helps you solve the problem.

Sorry, this chassis is not very photogenic because it is a bit dirty. Icon_mrgreen I have not repaired it yet. Icon_redface I do not really appreciate the Baltic. Icon_smile

Sincerely Peter
З повагою Петро

Peter,

Thank you. These are helpful. I figured out where the broken wire went, and added a short extension to it so I could reconnect it.

However, that did not help, because as you pointed out, that coil bank is for the antenna input. My local oscillator is still dead for MW.

I note by visual inspection that the coil on the lower right of your last photo is the MW local oscillator coil. I checked the coil itself with a meter and it seems to have good continuity. Can you please point out the MW local oscillator section in the Baltika 52 schematic? I'm having problems tracing the schematic around the band switch, and it would help a lot. I'm so close to having this radio in good working order, I don't want to give up now. Icon_smile

Good resolution.
I see the dead spiders.