Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 6S27

Hi Folks,

As noted elsewhere, this Zenith beckoned for help from the kerbside on the way to work yesterday. A big thank you to Mrs H for helping with the rescue bid Icon_smile

Here are a first few views, as found:

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

A little unpromising, as there is a speaker/transformer/field coil combinaiton to fiind. Otherwise, here is what I have found in the first assessment:

Power transformer seems intact, windings check out

There are a couple of extra holes in the back of the chassis - no clue what these were for (record player connection maybe, past tinkering)

Filter caps have been disconnected/bypassed at some time in the past, but the cans are still on the chassis

There are a few signs of past repairs/tinkering of marginal quality

The big "Candohm" or equivalent resistor along the rear of the chassis seems to have an open section.

The tuning drive belt is long gone, and a replacement would be needed.

After giving the chassis and cabinet a good cleaning to remove the antique dust and grime, the tuning mechanism received some attention. The dial was removed and and put aside for safety. Then I carefully dismantled the gear drive, cleaned and reassembled temporarily. It moves freely now.

I am very tempted to give this one the full treatment - I have always liked the big Zenith dials.

Ed;
  I think you are correct about the extra holes, one looks like it my have been for an AC outlet, the elongated one, the round hole was obviously intended for a jack. I think that Brand Z liked to use rebadged Rola speakers, painted gold or copper, the bracket around the field coils look like a Rola. I can see why you picked it up, the cabinet actually does not look that bad, and the chassis isn't a rustbucket, even if the transformer was bad it would not have been a great loss as X mount replacements are easier to find.
Regards
Arran

From what I see on the back of this radio ;  the rectangular hole would have been for a slide switch
to go from radio to phono  hence the initials  'R' and  "p'.
     The round hole would have been for the RCA jack for the phono.
 I have seen this configuration on many radios, with the switch being in a rectangular hole.
 Dan in Calgary

Living in Calgary Alberta

Plus 1 at Arrans remark, chassis not rustbucket! Really just seems dusty.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I guess the slot could have been for a slide switch, though it looks like whomever made it either did not use the holes, or removed whatever they added some time ago. It's too bad that they defaced the rear apron by making a rectangular hole, round holes are easier to cover, but you could make use of the two smaller holes and attache a cover plate.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for the insight chaps. Very helpful.

Searching, searching. I may have spotted a speaker that could work, although it has a different plug, and would need cone repair or replacement.

I did find speaker plugs on ebay - gouging sellers are having a laugh with buy it now prices anywhere from $75 to $95! If I need to go that route, I'll liberate a 5 pin base from an old valve.

Hi Ed,

First off, MAJOR SCORE!! These bring serious bux on eBuy Just the knob alone can bring $25.00
Secondly, having a wife who supports you in your hobby is a blessing. My wife gave up on being the getaway driver for my Pick n' Runs a long time ago.

I have one of these, chassis only, Chassis 5619 out of a 6S52, same chassis as used in the 6S27. I don't have the cabinet or the speaker and wish i did! (Chassis was given to me by a teenager when I was a kid. He was going to use the cabinet and speaker for a guitar amp.)
However, it works fine with a transformer with an 8K Primary, 8 Ohm Secondary, 8 Ohm PM Speaker and 1 K Ohm Resistor where the field used to be (Schematic shows a 1K Ohm resistance reading for the speaker field). If going this route, up the Power Supply Caps to 40 uF. The output transformer in my set was salvaged from a Magnavox TV that had a 6V6 Output tube.

Nostalgia Air has the Schematic. God bless them, I know a lot of the scans on the N A Site are blurry but this one is as clear as day. Drawing is mid 1935, so Unit was for the 1936 model year. I believe that this is one of the first of the Big Black Dial sets. Resistance of all sections of the CandOhm and the speaker field resistance are shown on the schematic.

I believe that the screw terminals are for antenna and ground. The Schematic shows "Circuit changes for Phonograph. I don't know if Zenith ever manufactured the chassis with a phono connection or if what was added to the schematic was for a Service station to add. The Phono jack would not have been an RCA Jack, as these were not invented till around 1940 (RCA Radios of this vintage had a jumper and screw terminals. The Mod indicated on the schematic uses a DPDT Switch as it grounds out the detector output in Phono mode.

Good luck with the restoration, even if having to use a modern speaker. You will eventually score the speaker and until then, it will sound fantastic with a modern one.

Best Regards,

John MrFixr55

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

PS- I have this in my office. The dial and the lightning bolt Z totally freak my wife out.

Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

PPS- since the schematic has a drawing to add the phone switch, consider putting in one to play An MPC Player, computer, etc. the 6SK7 and 6F6 Amp section actually sounds really nice. great for playing old time radio shows without the distortion added by an AM transmitter.

Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Ed;
  I'm sure that you have seen this guy before, he sells reproduction knobs that will match your set. https://www.ebay.com/usr/bigriverhardware I would love to know how he is making them as I have a few non brand Z sets that need some.
Regards
Arran

Hello Guys,
that is a nice score ED and my Zenith model 908 also uses a Z shaped pointer but mine is red and you are luck to have yours still .
I have had tough time finding one !

sincerely Rich

Thanks again for the comments and tech info. It seems I was luckier than realised at first.

I do now have schematic and alignment info. Looking forward to digging in to this one.

Ed;
  The only issue I see with the cabinet is the broken grill bar, but you may be able to patch a new piece in rather then making a whole new grille, I'm not sure how easy it is to remove. The speaker will probably be the hardest part to find, as it's an 8'', but as I said I'm pretty sure that Brand Z liked to use Rolla speakers, and rebrand them, if you are not fussy a Lansing, Magnanox, Utah, or Quam from the era will work nicely, and look like it belongs. Apparently a good number of sets with this cabinet, used a 6 volt vibrator radio chassis. 
Regards
Arran