Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 9S367

I have a Zenith 9S367 that my grandfather bought new. Still sounds really good. Question: do you guys think I should go ahead and recap? Nothing has ever been done to this radio as far as I know. I have done a number of other radios, but I didn’t know if I should just leave this one alone. Expert opinions welcome! Thanks.

Well. What can I say....if you are only holding it as a conversation piece that "still sounds pretty good" - don't touch it.
However if you intend to sit in front of it, turn it on and listen to it awhile - yes, do the recap.
This said, those are pretty intense inside. Not really intense, but pretty so.
And when you start on it you might find out there are some wiring that starts to crumble and needs to be replaced.
And if you want to keep the spirit, (I am sure if it still sounds nice the resistors are more or less usable) you might get into re-stuffing the old caps so it looks the same. Which will take some effort.

I guess it is your call after all.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks for the response. Will probably just go ahead with the restuff and all. Recently fell in way over my head with a junker Philco 38-116, and it worked out ok, so...   Thanks again.

38-116 is a marvelous radio. I do not think it much below the 38-690.
So.....from your prospective, unless you get the latter, not many things will exceed it.
And....if you tackled that one successfully, most other things will be a walk in the park.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Link for some info   http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/509/M0025509.htm