Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

General Electric Trimline 600

I bought one of these at the Memorial Day Flea Market at Hartville marketplace today. I have it playing, but anyone here know how the heck you get into the controls to clean them? I took the back off and all the electronics are jammed in on one side with no obvious way to slide them out or access them. I was able to get to the band switch through the vents on the bottom, but that's it. It needs the rest of the controls cleaned and new dial lights. Man, this thing is HEAVY!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Got it figured out after looking the stereo over again with a fresh set of batteries in my flashlight. Had to remove the knobs, then found that the screws were hiding behind the dial bezel after I found out how to pop it off. Everything in there is black, so was hard to tell what I was looking at from the rear until I finally saw the ends of the screws.

Got a photo?

Paul

Tubetalk1

Here's a quick picture after replacing the dial lights and bringing it into the house to play for a bit. I swear, FM has been sounding like crap on all my radios this evening and is only a bit better now. Anyways, here is the General Electric Deluxe Trimline 600:

I still need to attach the the two metal grills to the back of the speakers again as the double-sided adhesive tape GE used has given up, then it's on to the changer and perhaps a capacitor or two in the future.

Hmmm - Deluxe Trimline. Isn't that an oxymoron?

So is calling it portable. Lug-able might be a better term. It definitely still needs work though. The stereo FM isn't working, at least I can't hear any difference switching between mono and stereo FM settings. Also after about 10 minutes the FM gets somewhat distorted and the dial cord slips at the center of the dial. So, back to the $5 RCA SS3000 for vintage stereo listening. That thing has been a reliable workhorse since I cleaned it up and it's from the same year range as the GE. Seems odd the thing I bought cheap on a whim works better than the GE which I had been looking for and bought for $25. Still wish I could find the Zenith tube stereo portable.

Just a marketing ploy, put a handle on it and call it portable.