Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ISO Tips: Refinishing Philco TV Cabinetry

I just purchased this vintage Philco television, which I would like to restore/upcycle. It's not currently functional, and the vintage TV redditors wisely recommended I at least look into repairing the electronic components before I upcycle into another use (e.g., bar cart, cat bed, shelf).

In the meantime, I want to properly restore the cabinetry, if nothing else, but I am a newbie to the DIY and furniture restoration world and I'm looking for any tips folks have! Even if I end up upcycling to a different use, I still want to preserve the original aesthetic (not intending to paint or do anything wild to it - mostly want to see it in its original glory!). I have been unable to affirmatively identify the year or model, and it's actually a bit difficult to tell if the cabinetry is real wood or some kind of laminate, which I know would affect my finishing approach. Does anyone have ideas? These are the only hints as to make and model (also pictured).

Size: ~20x16 in (screen), ~32x20.5 in (full console)
Brand: Philco
Type: Super 90 Cool Chassis
Numbers on Back: L4868 and 27-10464-10
Voltage: 120 Volts A.C. 60 Cycle, 170 Watts

I found it kind of looks like the television pictured in this vintage ad: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Or...871?_ul=IL

Any info on what model or year this TV is and best way to refinish and spiff up the cabinetry, dials, etc. would be appreciated!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi and welcome,

Best I can tell your set is from 1963 and uses a 13N50 chassis. The free service info can be found here: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Ri...963-TV.pdf  starting on pg 109. As for the marks on the top, I doubt it's any sort of solid wood probably some sort of decal over particle board. Would feel it to see if the grain is raised. If it is a little light sanding and artwork to draw in the sanded/missing wood grain. I'm sure others will have other suggestions on how to on the top issue.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks, Radioroslyn! I will take a look at that! It doesn't really seem like the grain is raised, so particle board seems likely? 

I'm also wondering if you or anyone else can also comment on when (if ever!) it does become OK to "upcycle" a vintage set like this into something other than a working television. One vintage TV redditor I chatted with advised that, in their opinion, a TV isn't really beyond repair unless you've got, "a bad picture tube, bad flyback transformer, or a bad power transformer."

I want to do justice to this beautiful piece of vintage technology, while at the same time preparing myself for different scenarios where a repair might be very difficult or costly - or even impossible. In any of those scenarios, would it be acceptable to retain and restore the frame, but have someone extract the parts that are still working for folks who work on other vintage sets to use? Just trying to think through a few different possibilities as I educate myself on the issue. I still have no idea why something that is in quite good outside condition doesn't currently function and will have to take it to an expert for that diagnosis.

To me the cabinet looks like it may be some sort of hardboard like masonite. A bad picture tube isn't necessity the end of the line, it depends on what type of picture tube type it is, some are in demand, and expensive, others are quite common and have little demand, like many of the 21'' tubes from the 1950s, others are rare, I don't think a 1963 set would be any of these things. What's more a set with a well worn picture tube can still produce a watchable picture, and in some cases a tube can kind of go to sleep, and has to be woken up, so even a tube that tests weak initially may wake up the longer it is left powered up. I won't not even think of re-purposing a complete set, if you had an empty cabinet or a curb side find TV that was a wreck, why not, though I think the market for such kitsch is limited, and will probably end up as dumpster fodder. Flyback transformer failures are actually pretty rare, lack of H.V in a set is often blamed on those but it's usually a problem with the other components driving it. Sometimes they do get moisture inside them, but there are ways of driving it out. Most of the other tubes in this set are cheap, even brand new, though I think that bad capacitors and drifted resistors will be the cause of most troubles. What exactly does the set do or not do, I assumed that you plugged it in? I would have powered it up with a light bulb in series with the power cord to ensure that nothing goes to a dead short. I would watch shango066 on Y.T if you want some ideas on how to work on these things.
Regards
Arran

I agree, looks too nice to scrap it out. There will never be any more of those produced. Tubes and transformers can be replaced and subbed, yokes are a little more difficult, but seldom fail. I surely wouldn’t repurpose it. I see far too much of that as it is. Hopefully you can get it running soon.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

One person's "beyond repair" can be radically different than another person's.

Since it is yours, you should do whatever you want, but ask yourself:

Will the finished product be useful or just CL junk?

Will your wife let you keep it in the house when your done?

What is the cost of repair - or what is the cost of "upcycling".

What are your chances of success - either way?

Old TVs are hard to dispose of in many locations. You might be able to give it away - as is. You might have to burry it in the backyard if it becomes a fish-tank or wine-rack.

Old TVs ARE dangerous for the unexperienced - sometimes for the experienced. Are you prepared? ( this includes just removing the chassis)

Good luck

Russ

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/