Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1959 Philco Model G1708S
Question 

Hola! I just bought a 1959 Philco Model G1708S (phonograph/record player, 6 tube amp according to the product description I found on the Philco gallery):

[Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jX-jG6B...sp=sharing]
[Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b5RjIKM...sp=sharing]

(tried to use my google drive to share images but no idea if they'll show up in the actual post; i also attached the jpgs)

I'm hoping to get it back into working order, but I don't know anything about anything, so this seemed like a good place to start trying to learn some of it. Sorry if there's a more appropriate part of the forum for this type of post -- happy to remove and put there instead if so. Here's what I think I know so far:

The unit does seem to have power at the moment, which I assume is good. When I switch to "on," the turntable will do a few full rotations before making a clicking noise and mechanically forcing itself back to the off position. I can probably upload a pretty riveting video of this if that would help anyone diagnose anything. The tone arm does not engage at all, though it isn't frozen/locked in place; I can easily move it around away from neutral position when turned off (haven't tried moving it when turned on just in case that is a self-destruct command). It pushes back to neutral (feels like probably just some spring thing) when moved. 

The overarm/automatic record changer is locked in place completely in the middle of the turntable preventing me from removing or changing the record on the turntable, as you can hopefully see from the photo. (If not, imagine an overarm sitting directly over the middle of a record. It's stuck there.) This might be normal with a very easy way to move it that will make me feel silly, but I'm not sure what it is. 

It also came with what appear to be a few spare needles of uncertain quality in a little plastic tube.

Any help at all would be extremely appreciated. Here's what I think would be helpful if anyone has some of these answers, but please also let me know if I'm asking the wrong questions/starting in the wrong spot:

1. Anyone have any idea what's going on with the turning off + tone arm + overarm?
  2. What basic stuff/tools am I likely to need to get this working? My toolbox at the moment is basically just a few screwdrivers, and I don't even know if i have what I need to open up the back; I will want to do that + clean it up back there, potentially change tubes if needed (think it probably still has the originals and no idea whether they'll work yet). Assuming stuff that normally gets old and bad back there is now old and bad, what will I need to deal with and clean that all up? 
  3. Do I need schematics for this?
  4. Any links with basic background info that I might need to know/read up on at some point? Or just general pointers? 
  5. If these google drive photos don't show up when I post, how do people normally upload images round here?

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Attaching images is fine. You have two (three if you count the cabinet) things to repair/restore. The radio/amp chassis and the phonograph. We do not have 1959 info in the library but you can get a schematic from SAMS for $15 at https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofact...and/PHILCO

There may be other sources for it as well. I don't restore phonographs very much so others will have to help there. Your radio chassis will likely need the capacitors changed out and resistors changed if out of spec (more than 20% off). the turn table likely needs cleaning at the least. You'll need a digital volt meter with ability to measure resistance and a soldering iron and solder, needle nose pliers, wire clippers. Take some time to read up on what others have done to restore radios. There are many restorations in the Phorum and a good beginner read is on Phil Nelson's site. Your tubes may well be OK although no guarantee. They are not the most likely failure points. Do some reading and come back with questions.