Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ANTIQUE 1928 AMERICAN BOSCH CONSOLE CABINET RADIO 48AA

OK - so I was snookered on my Philco purchase of the 1921 Highboy with the transistor radio inside, this is what I picked up in Temecula from someone selling on Facebook.  

I presume that this radio is worth more than I paid if it works.  I was told that the radio was working when it was inherited by the seller.  He was going to plug it in but I asked him not to.  I read somewhere that you should slowly raise the voltage up when checking out a new, old radio.  Is that true?  I do have a voltage cranker upper somewhere in my garage.  (we just moved boxes everywhere)  Cant get to my tools or my ICOM 7300 radio.  All buried.

Are there any recommendations for checking out a new old radio out there?  Right now we will probably spend a few bucks buying a new cover cloth for the speaker.  The speaker by the way was a cone suspended by radial pieces of electrical tape!  Hmmmm

This radio is made by American Bosch.  The radio number is 48AA.  

I'll see if anything glows when I get some time.  If I need parts, I'll shop around.  Looks like fun!

Cheers!
Rocketman.  ....  burning out his fuse up here alone (in case you were wondering what Elton John was singing all these years)

Attached Files Image(s)

That American Bosch is a GREAT old radio ! Do NOT try to power it up until you have pulled the chassis and checked to see that all paper condensers and electrolytic condensers have been replaced, all the resistors checked to make sure they are in spec, and replaced if necessary. Then test all the tubes and replace those which are bad or weak. Once that is done, then you can power it up on a variac. If you are very sure of your work you could even just plug it in and see what happens being careful to feel the power transformer and watch the plates of the rectifier tube for overheating, which is what I mostly do, though not the recommended approach.

Now, you may wonder why we replace ALL the paper condensers and electrolytic condensers. It is because they are either bad already, or soon will be, and they can fail in a shorted condition which can cause damage to things like the power transformer which is VERY EXPENSIVE to get rewound, if you can even get it done. They can also cause a fire hazard. Best to just replace them all and be done with it.

Looking at the schematic   http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/773/M0040773.htm   I see that there are a couple of condensers across the power input to ground to filter out line noise. This was VERY common on these old sets, Philco, RCA, Zenith and others did the same. These should be replaced with a type Y safety condenser, the kind that FAIL OPEN.

I envy you this latest acquisition. It is going to be a great project, and you will both learn a lot and have a lot of fun. Be very patient. Take your time. You will end up with a fine, reliable radio you can be proud of, and which will still be working fine years and years from now. I look forward to your thread detailing your progress in the restoration.

As for that, TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES ! It is so much easier now that we have cheap digital cameras. Take them before you start ANY work so you have a record of how things were to begin with. Then take more pictures along and along as you work, documenting each thing you do. You'll find this can be invaluable if you want to check things. Also, you will have pictures to post in your restoration thread. About posting pictures... If you first post them to a picture posting site, and then use the link to that photo to post the picture in your thread here, you will find that it will load much quicker when people check the thread.  You can use any of the picture posting sites. I use tumblr. Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thanks very much!!! I appreciate all the detail in you reply and will go slowly and carefully.

I'll definitely take a bunch of photos of each tube and nook and cranny.

Again thanks for all the work in your email. I still have to put antennas on the tin can. (Artemis). Back soon!
Keith

There is one in Michigan.  Wow o Wow if I could get the speaker and other parts or just fix it up.  Who has the better cabinet?  Check it out before it goes off of E-bay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133833164757

The one in Michigan is very nice. It appears less dusty than yours, was perhaps never stored away and forgotten for a time. Still, I think I like the style of yours better, and once cleaned up, it will look just about as good. From what I can see of yours the speaker looks OK, it's just the grill cloth that is bad. Speakers are no big deal to repair, especially if the damage is just a minor tear. They are not even that big a deal to re-cone. I've done it a couple of times myself. I would say that both radios are great candidates for complete restoration.

Thanks Mike. On ebay they don't let you contact the seller. What a rip. I mean I can't give my phone number to the Michigan person. That's so you don't go behind ebay's back to make a deal.