Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco C-1608 Issues

Some  of the folks on the phroum like to restuff caps others no. Do what you like .me I am happy to get them working again. Please take pics and share. David

If you know how to do it, put them in the old can.

Argument for doing that:

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/who-l...-a-chassis

It really depends on what you want from the project.

Russ

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

It really depends on how much room you have, and the size of the old condenser can. From the picture it looks kind of tight in there. Since this is all under the chassis, and won't be seen unless by someone else working on the set someday, I wouldn't worry whether to try to put it into the original can or not. Fine, if you can and are comfortable with the task, fine of you can just install the two new condensers properly. Good luck !

My preference is to leave the old can in-place, cut the lead wires close to the body of the can. Find a nearby area to install a 3 lug with ground terminal strip to mount the caps on. Often there is a nearby hole existing that can be used for the terminal strip. Pre-mount the caps, carefully on the terminal strip, often with the strip out. Install, and wire. This does require some planning for a workman like job but so does gutting an old can, struggling and installing leads into the cap.

Or,

Since you now have separate caps look where to old cap leads went and caps do not have to be close together, there may be a nearby common positive and connections for negatives so no terminal strip needed.

Just do not put the caps near the high impedance audio input or anywhere close to the RF section...

YMMV

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Ok thanks    

Hey guys life gets in the way sometimes.I was going to replace noisy vibrator with solid state vibrator.Problem is it doesn't work with solid state vibrator?Any reasons why it won't work?Thanks

Hello again.Life is hard but we keep going.Having said that what reason would a solid state vibrator not work in my Philc o C 1608?The radio works fine with old vibrator but was trying to quiet it down a little with solid state vibrator.Any help suggestions are appreciated.

Hope this info helps can also be used as a crude power inverter for lights.    
.pdf vibratorsolidstate.pdf Size: 9.99 KB  Downloads: 149

solid state vibrators for negative ground and positive ground radios are not interchangeable. maybe yours has the wrong polarity??
the one in the schematic that david sent is for a 12 volt system. and negative ground. i built one for my 6-volt radio and can send you the part specs if you want to build your own. in the meantime, is your car positive or negative ground, and what kind/brand/model number vibrator do you have?

The two threads on the same radio have been merged into one.

Please read and follow the Rules.
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4586

Quote:II. Multiple threads on the same subject not allowed.

When you start a thread, please keep the discussion within the same thread.

Example: "Philco 90 broken"

After you've started that thread, please do not start another thread on "Philco 90 bad resistor" if it is the same Philco 90 being discussed in the original thread. Give others a chance to respond to your questions rather than asking them again in a new thread - please be patient.

These sort of threads will be immediately deleted, to keep clutter to a minimum.

Please cooperate with management in keeping one thread in the same place rather than scattering it around.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Fenbach my car is positive ground.The radio is Philco C 1608.The solid state vibrator says positive ground 6 volt.Is there any way to check this vibrator/And would love to see how to make my own solid state vibrator.Thanks.The vibrator is solid state vibrator,6 volt,positive ground type1015P from Antique Automobile Radio.

Sub MJ2955 for the 2N3055 the trick will be finding a transformer to give you the correct output voltage with 6 volts input. Might be able to save the original transformer?

Keefer. Give me a day or so. For now, though, I’ve never had to replace the power transformer. I use TIP36 PNP transistors.

keefer,
you can easily check AAR vibrator, or any other for that matter, in the radio. locate the rectifier tube, a number 84, and find the 2 pins connected by a 7500uuf cap. that's the so-called buffer cap, part no.63 on the schematic. if the vibrator is working, the voltage to ground at each pin will be roughly 300V AC. or check the DC voltage at the other 3 pins. you should get 0, 6 and 200+.
i'll make a diagram of my modification of the vibrator that david sent. and also a diagram of a tester for the AAR vibrator.

Thanks Fenbach.I appreciate it.