Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-1274

I'm not a collector but I have a 48-1274 (radio/phonograph/short wave). I might sell it, but I have no idea about pricing. Maybe someone can provide me with a range based on condition. It is all original (maybe a tube or two was replaced over the years, but I don't know). It was extremely well cared for and has only a couple issues. First, the electrical cord was frayed at the point of entry into the chassis and finally came off. I still have the original cord, though. Also, years ago a collector/restorer told me it needed a filter capacitor because it hummed. Not knowing anything about tubes, I think this is all that is wrong with it. The only other thing is that the dark backing on the dial is flaking. This has to do with age, I suppose. The cabinet is in excellect condition. Looks like it did when it came out of the store in 1948, maybe just a tad of drying of the veneer on the two front panels. I think this one is mahagony. My grandparents bought a house from a little old lady in the 1970s who was going into a home and she left the radio (probably because it weighed a ton and she couldn't take it with her). They gave it to me 30 years ago and I have lugged it around for all that time. I have decided to either get it going and keep it or just sell it to a collector. If I sell it to a collector, should I have it fixed first? I would appreciate your input.

HI David,
First off, your set should be able to be repaired by replacing those filter capacitors, then the smaller 'wax' capacitors.

There are basically 2 types of collectors. One that wants a set recapped and working, or a collector who likes an 'unmolested' or worked on set. They would rather recap and do the work themselves. The selling price will obviously be lower for an unrestored set, compared to one that has been properly restored.

It is hard to give a value, it all depends on who is buying and what your bottom line is. IN addition, some of the consoles with a phonograph installed go for a lower value tha ones without. The photographs are a different aspect in restoring as they have rubber wheels that have dried up or worn out, the cartridge probably needs a rebuild too.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess, in the shape your set is in, and to a collector, you may get between $50 and $100, again depending on your area, and the buyer's mood Icon_smile

So, if you have the set restored by a "pro", will the cost exceed the selling price? Is the buyer someone like a decorator looking for one working set, who might pay a higher price?
Or, do you plan to keep the set, have it restored and use it for what it was intended for? If this is the only set you have, I think you'd be happy with it. Who else do you that has a (potentially) resotred working console radio. with phono? There is just something about the old sets, the smell and the sound that you can't duplicate.

If you are not going to keep the set, personally, I'd sell it like it is, but make sure the person knows that it will need new capacitors, and simply adding a cord will not bring the set back to life. It could be downright dangerous.

Sorry to be so vague, but hopefully my ramblings helped Icon_smile
Gary.

Thanks for the information, Gary.