Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

starting restoration of my GE model 547

Hello everyone,
Well ,I decided to do a quick restoration of one of my AA5 radio a General Electric model 547 .
Really a simple restoration the one major issue is dealing with the speaker the speaker frame is rusty I wonder how to deal with the rust without damaging the cone or getting metal in where you don't want it .

I will post a photo of the speaker .

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello guys,
I started replacing the coupling capacitors and run across one of those bumblebee capacitors that was across the line and it was split in half .
Anyway I also started checking checking the resistors and i will post some more photos .

Sincerely Richard

That's odd to see that rust on the cone; does the chassis also have rust? What about the other side of the speaker frame?

I suggest Evap-O-Rust Gel, applied carefully. If you coat the front of the frame and leave the speaker with the cone facing up, I think it should do its job without affecting the cone. Then if the back side of the frame is also rusty, then carefully clean off the front following the Evap-O-Rust directions, turn the speaker so the cone is facing down, and repeat on the back side of the frame.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Ron,
No the chassis is not rusty and the strange thing is the back of the speaker just has a very tiny bit of rust around the screw mounting holes .
Sincerely Richard

It looks like the cone is slightly recessed into the frame, so the Evap-O-Rust will probably wick into the cone. You might be better off using naval jelly. Better control and wipes off with a wet cloth. Then again, you can buy a good 4 inch speaker very reasonably.

This is why I suggested the gel. Regular Evap-O-Rust cannot be used in this application as it requires the item to soak in the stuff. The Evap-O-Rust Gel is somewhat like naval jelly.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Rob,
Well Yes good old Naval jelly and far as speakers go here is the one that I have been using that is made by Visaton they sell it in 4 or 8 ohm and shielded or non - shielded Freq. is 100hz-13khz 90db.
Great thing is they are made in Germany and run about $9.00-$10.
Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Ron and Rob,
Anyway that Visaton brand speaker really sounds great in my other sets that I have used them in.
I will post some photos of the chassis at this moment I am replacing all the electrolytic and coupling capacitors and defective resistors .
One thing I did find is there is a low ohm resistor that was original 18ohm and someone replaced it with a 10 ohm .
Sincerely Richard

Hello Everyone,
Well I will post some more photos of this radio this week I got the main filter capacitor back in and I replace some more resistors .
Saturday I added new synthetic oil to telechron Rotor .

Sincerely Richard