Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosley 181 alignment information needed

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/310/M0003310.htm

I was hoping one of the members may have some alignment information for this model.

Adj 8's and 7's for peak at 456kc. Apply signal to cap of 2A7.
Adj 57 for null at 456kc. Apply signal to ANT. Keep signal it a minimum.
Adj 11"s for peak near the top of the bc and sw band. Choose which one has the most effect on the chosen band.
Adj 12's to set the frequency at the high end of each band. Choose which one has the most effect on the chosen band.
Have fun!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Sorry for the long delay in responding, away to take care of a sick relative.

Thanks for responding but if you hadn't noticed I've only had 19 posts, am new to this hobby, just bought a used signal generator and long story short...I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to do from your instructions.

No worries. Can you CHML over at your place? Snap a pic of the front the generator/post it.  We'll tell you how to put it thru it's paces to see if it's in working order. # of posts don't really mean much as you could have lots some where else.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I’m not familiar with CMHL but I can post a pic of the generator. Thanks. I see that I also don’t know how to rotate pics on this site

Attached Files Image(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHML
They play otr shows at night. I can hear well here near Philly at night. But have a local low power station at 900kc that over takes them when there is some fading.
We can use CHML to check the SG-8's calibration at 450kc which close the 456kc. The entry level Heathkit SG single calibration adjustment effects all bands so it's accuracy is suspect. In it's manual it sez it not to be used as a frequency standard.
If you have a digital receiver that will tune down to 456kc then that works too.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Phiz, DL the program IRfanview. It's free and reliable. DL the plug ins for it too. It is the best free image viewer I know. It is also great for basic editing, like rotating pictures, you can also crop them, resize them, etc. Then you can upload it to a picture site, (I use tumblr) and use the URL of the picture on that site to insert the pictures into your posting here. If you do it that way, instead of loading the picture here, it loads into the thread a lot faster when someone is looking at it, and also saves space on this site's server.

As for your signal generator, I have used the same model for years. I always check it's output with a good digital readout general coverage radio, a TECSUN PL-600, although once you know the settings on the sig gen are accurate you can just go by that. I just like to make them exact, so I use the radio with the sig gen. For 455 KC I use 910KC on the radio, which picks up the harmonic. For 456, just set the radio to 912 KC. Just remember, double the IF you're looking for. Then set your sig gen so it is giving max output at that frequency through the radio, and you're good to go setting the IF on the radio you're working on.

I appreciate the replies and instructions on how to rotate a pic but I still don’t know how to align this radio. It doesn’t have the normal IF, RF Ant coils that I’ve seen on other radios and this is my first crack at using a signal generator.

Are the 4 spots marked on the photo where I adjust the signal and if they are in what order are they done and do I need an insulated tool to adjust it?

I only have limited abilities on reading schematics so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Phil. I just had a look at the schematic for your Crosley 181. It's not a very good document but it's the only one I can find right now and it doesn't have any instructions for alignment. So I will attempt to get you started. First off number the tubes in the schematic 1 to 6, left to right top to bottom. The IF amplifier tube is tube 2, the 58 tube and pin 2 of that tube is the plate. The plate is connected to the primary of the second IF transformer. The top cap of tube 2 is the control grid and is connected to the secondary of the first IF transformer. Following these two wires should point you to the IF transformers. From your photo,I don't see them on top of the chassis so it appears they will be below. My experience is that when the transformers are under the chassis then the tuning caps are external from the transformers. You will have to identify this and mark them accordingly. Remember that the IF frequency is 456khz. Before proceeding to other adjustments do the IF alignment first.