Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-482, what a great radio !

Tonight I was listening to KMOX 1120 AM in St. Louis, MO. I was listening to the Cardinals playing the Milwaukee Brewers. I was listening with just the built in antenna of the radio to a station hundreds of miles away, with mountains in between. There was some fading, not to the point where the station was unintelligible, and, for the most part loud and clear. Earlier I had tuned up and down the dial, and found dozens of stations, probably more than 30 coming in clear. What a great radio ! On other nights I have had similar performance listening to shortwave as well as broadcast band, and with FM, the performance is even good through the day. The 48-482 was truly a beautiful design, both aesthetically, and from an engineering standpoint.

[Image: https://64.media.tumblr.com/f349e6d6c808...4931df.jpg]

I noticed the FM range goes to 108. The German Graetz 4R-216 I'm working on was made in 1955 and the FM range goes to 100. Graetz didn't get to 108 for a couple more years. The owner wants me to adjust the tuning so it brings in 102.5.

Same with the 1951 Grundig I restored two years ago. It had a max at 104.

Well, I guess that's what you get when you buy European radios from that period instead of U.S. made, that, and those odd European tube designations some of which have no U.S. equivalent. In my humble opinion, more trouble than they're worth, at least for U.S. restorers.

Very nice! I have one in the closet for 'someday'.