Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

general motors radio console

hello gentlemen

I found a console GMC radio  model imperial 253 , but refitted with french chassis  ,

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_mo..._s_3a.html

original chassis and loud speaker have disappeared... Icon_sad    3 holes have been also made in front panel for axes of commands of the replaced chassis ... Icon_sad

I think could be very difficult to find original chassis and loud speaker . What is your opinion about this ?

thanks  cordially

Claude

Attached Files Image(s)

The cabinet is nice, ornate, it does look like the radio chassis has a Dial Glass too small for the opening. Would like to see the chassis in the proper case......I quessing hard to find another chassis that would have been original. Sometimes easier to find the whole radio and there is your chassis.

Paul

Tubetalk1

hello Paul

Thanks a lot for quick reply and your opinion
Yes I think also the chassis presently put for replacement original one does not fit properly the window of the console , and guess other one with round or ovale shape would better meet the case .
About the present chassis , I don' t know which brand it is , have not and no idea about the original cabinet,as no inscription is on this chassis nor on the dial  So , could be a crafstman made one or from very small unknown company . Could be made in the 1939/40 years , just before WW2 or just after .

I wish you nice sunday , cordially

Hello claude,
myself I have a General Motors model 160 from the 1930s and GM had some really beautiful cabinets and with mine the chassis must weigh almost 50 pounds .
Anyway I bet you could find a better chassis .
That hole in the bottom is where the speaker was mounted
Sincerely Richard

Hello Richard

Watching carefully the dial , i found which radio set the replaced chassis come !

https://www.doctsf.com/inconnu-modele-a-...f26986/o=y

But yes indeed , an other chassis with a round or ovale dial would suit better !

sincerely , nice evening

Claude

Hello Claude,
for sure !
Well here is the model I have it is called "Georgian " model 160b
Here is a Photo of one from radio attic   Eddie Brimmer 

sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

hello Richard

Oh yes   , I understand ! model 160 is also a GMC console ! also pretty   

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_mo_georgian.html

cordially

Hello claude.france,
yes and I do like the cabinet design !

Sincerely Richard

Hello Claude,

I know of some sets that have oval dials. Just about all of the 1936 Philco line...  1936 (June 1935) - Philco Radio Gallery    January 1936 - Philco Radio Gallery   Or you could just buy the escutcheon, those show up on epay and fit it to a non Philco set with the proper dial dimensions. 

For those following at home this is what the original set looked liked  General Motors Radio Corp. Tube Radio-Model 253 | #32668654 (worthpoint.com)  And electrically  General Motors Radio Corp.: 253 (nostalgiaair.org) 

The cabinet will require the repair of the three holes in the front panel. I wouldn't bother with trying to find the GM chassis. Even if you did find one the shipping is going to be a pretty penny. It could be a very long search. It's early superhet curcuit using 2.5vac tubes crica 1931-32 design. If you move up a couple of years to '35-'36 tubes are more efficient and higher gain. SW reception is popular so the newer chassis are more likely to have a SW band or two.

These are just my opinions and as they say opinions are like elbows everybody's got a couple of them.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello Claude,
I agree with terry that Chassis if anything like mine it will be heavy your chassis looks smaller then mine does .
that cabinet is to nice to toss if that cabinet was mine I would install this Howard chassis is wanting a cabinet .

Sincerely Richard