Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-258 code 122

i have inherited a philco 41-258 code 122. its in great condition but when plugged in, nothing works. i am not a technical person but would like to know how to go about getting the radio to work. should i start with trying to replace the tubes? where should i start. your suggestions are appreciated.

thanks for your reply. i have been able to obtain the schematic for the radio but dont have a clue what it means since im not an electronic engineer. like i said, i just inherited the radio and have no clue about what it takes to get it working although its in such good condition, im sure all in needs is tubes or something.

again, thank you for your help.
joe

Hi and welcome.

What the radio will need more than anything else is new paper and electrolytic capacitors. It should not be powered up until these are replaced.

Tubes are usually still good in most old radios, so there is no need to rush out and buy a complete set of tubes. You can save that step until later, and only after replacing necessary components and either testing the tubes yourself, or finding someone close by who is willing to test them for you.

Also, your radio will have rubber insulated wiring under the chassis that is, no doubt, dry-rotten and crumbling. There are ways to fix this problem; some people put all new wires in these radios, while others (such as myself) prefer to use new insulation, such as heat-shrink tubing, over the old wires in place of the old rotten rubber insulation.

You're in luck, as there is an antique radio club in your area - the California Historical Radio Society.

http://www.californiahistoricalradio.com/

I strongly suggest you contact them. There, you will find collectors willing to help you out.

Please feel free to post any questions you may have here, but you may need one-on-one assistance; this is where a radio club such as CHRS will be most helpful to you.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN