Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 60B mica capacitor advice

Hello all.
In my research, it is suggested to leave mica caps alone whenever possible for many reasons as they typically do not go bad
I am looking for advice on replacing or not replacing the .00011 uF mica capacitors in the bakelite blocks.
Now blocks on schematic numbered 13 which is a single .00011 uF and number 27 which is a double .00011 could be left alone.
They are probably not bad.
I am curious about the #33 bakelite block which is a .00011uf and a .015uf as I want to replace the .015 cap to stay on the safe side.
If I clean out that block, I would have to replace the .00011uf as well as the .015uf
Is it best to leave these all alone including that one .015, or are there good 110pF micas I could use without any serious or negative consequences to the performance of the radio.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

Just go ahead and replace.  The two 110pf caps are in the detector circuit and the .015 is foil/paper cap. It's going to be leaky along with all of other foil/paper caps. In general, the admonition about mica caps applies to ones in rf, IF, and coupling. Not 100% sure the 110pf are mica. When bad it will cause the volume to be low or change at will. They're just annoying.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry