Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1930 mod.96

great website here. just joined and have a question already. i have what i think is a model 96 going by the pics. on the site here. it also says models #30-41-76 used the same cabinet. is there a way i can tell which model i have? also did they operate on both ac/dc or just dc? the old thing is in pretty good shape. all the knobs are on ,tuner spins and the fabric in front is in excellent shape. cabinet has a few normal scratches in it. i may have it sent out to be checked out or i may part with it. there is one on e-bay now just like it.bought it for a conversation piece many years ago. thank you all for any help. Icon_biggrin

Welcome!

Look inside your radio and carefully count the number of tubes. It may or may not have the large tube shield in back which can easily be removed by loosening some screws on the very back of the chassis and then sliding it up and out of the way.

9 tubes - Model 96
7 tubes - Model 77

It is probably one of the two above.

A Model 30 will have 8 tubes but no AC cord since the 30 was battery operated.

A Model 41 will have 6 tubes and a large ballast resistor mounted somewhere inside the cabinet. It will also have what looks like an AC cord but don't try to plug it in because the 41 is a DC-only set!

The 96 and 77 run on AC only, both have large power transformers which the 30 and 41 will not have.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Welcome!

Look inside your radio and carefully count the number of tubes. It may or may not have the large tube shield in back which can easily be removed by loosening some screws on the very back of the chassis and then sliding it up and out of the way.

9 tubes - Model 96
7 tubes - Model 77

It is probably one of the two above.

A Model 30 will have 8 tubes but no AC cord since the 30 was battery operated.

A Model 41 will have 6 tubes and a large ballast resistor mounted somewhere inside the cabinet. It will also have what looks like an AC cord but don't try to plug it in because the 41 is a DC-only set!

The 96 and 77 run on AC only, both have large power transformers which the 30 and 41 will not have.
mine must be a model 30 ron. i counted 8 tubes. also it has two round 3 pin conectors in the back. for the battery maybe? kinda was hoping it was a/c. thank you very much for your fast reply.

Can you post a pic or two? Like to see it>
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry