Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hammond transformers for Radiola III A PROBLEM !

I just wrote an e-mail to Hammond Transformers. The transformers they are making to repair the Radiola III A do not fit into the original cans because of the wires used to connect the contact board to the transformer itself. They are too thick and too long. There is no electronic reason for the wires to be as heavy gauge as they are, nor to have as thick insulation as they have.The highest B voltage they will see is +80 volts, according to the Radiola III A manual, nor do they carry that high a current. The original wires were much thinner, probably #24 from what they looked like.

I've almost given up on Hammond as a source, not only are their prices higher then competing products, but they seem to exhibit an indifference to the mechanical needs of antique radio restoration by doing things like this. For example, the bulk of their replacement power transformers are vertical mounted, whereas most vintage radios have horizontal mounted transformers that fit into a sqaure hole in the chassis. About the only ones I've seen that are horizontal mounted are marketed towards those rebuilding guitar amps, and I saw those on the AES website, not in the Hammond catalog, so I am not sure if Hammond made them or not.