Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Tropic 103 valve radio made in England

Had this Philco Tropic 103 come my way can find little about it i guess its a export model for the Commonwealth 
Valves EM81/ECH81/EBF89/EBC81/EZ80/EL84

WAVEBANDS 19M/25M/31M/SW1/SW2/BC

I believe its similar to the model UK 135

can find little around the web and no circuits for either of these 2 models

Attached Files Image(s)

I did find this but it's a bit hard to read.  https://www.todocoleccion.net/radios-ant...~x39757856 Seem that it's the same as the 101 model.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Radio Museum has this but doesn't seem to have a schematic:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_tro....html#data

I have a copy of the UK Vintage Radio service data DVD, and Model 103 is not in there (neither is model 101).

I used to have one of those sets. I would guess very few made their way over here to the USA. It was likely made for export to Africa and possibly South America.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank Folks parts list will be useful sadly the circuit not so clear but much better than none at all

Very attractive set !!

I find it interesting that although it is made in the U.K. the connections on the back say "antenna / ground" instead of "aerial / earth". I wonder when the U.K. producers started using those terms?

.... and .... having read the radio specifications from the link above (for the 101), it only has two SW bands, but three "bandspread" dials .... not often we see "band spread" on consumer sets. GE made one in the fifties, (X371/CX371) a huge table top set with a half-round dial and two chassis'. This Philco looks to be a nice compact set by comparison.