Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 Found + 16B Questions

Some of you may remember "Phil's Pholly" a while back when I pounced on a Philco 70 buy-it-now at an irresistibly low price only to find I had bought only a bare cabinet. Well today I picked up a 70 locally that had broken grillwork, but otherwise complete. I am going to swap the face of the cabinets to make one nice one. Any suggestions on how to go about separating the front from the sides without damaging either?

The seller might be willing to swap a very nice looking, unrestored, shouldered tombstone which he thought was a 16B. After some research I think it may have actually been a '35 118B since it seemed squatter than I expected. The light wasn't the greatest in the attic and I hadn't boned up on what to look for in advance. I'll send him a photo of each to double check. I'm not really after the 118. The set had all four knobs of the 1936 arrow style. If it is a 16B, which appears to have only been made the first six months of the year, could it be that a late production set came from the factory with the '36 knobs?

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

Hi Phil

The70 front panel is held in with short, flat-head wood screws. Remove these and the front panel should come off with little difficulty.

Regarding the 16B or 118B or whatever it turns out to be, if it isn't something you wish to keep, why not offer it here? I am sure someone here will want it. Icon_smile

Oh, and none of the 1935 model Philcos would have had 1936 knobs from the factory.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the info Ron. Like many of us, this guy is running out of room for radios, hence the attic storage. He also doesn't wish to ship any he doesn't have to which is why he wants to swap locally. I'm pretty much in the same situation needing to swap to keep from being overrun. If the tombstone isn't one I want, I'll suggest he offer it here. And any other excess Philcos. I noticed a nice deco table set.

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN