Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adding FM to a Philco 118

Hello Steve,
Thank you for the heads up!

Sincerely Richard

Hi Steve,
I ordered one of the modules and just installed it today.  Clever little gadget.
My victim set is a Philco 37-60.  I was/am unsure where to dump the audio output so I went to the top of the volume control like an add-on phono attachment.  27k and .022 in series.
I seem to be tuning ok, a surprising number of carriers, but I'm not recovering any audio.
His instructions say to go into the "LF" amp stage but I don't understand what he means.

What are your comments on the injection point?

-Bill

Hi Bill! Haven't heard from you for a while.

I used one pole of the band switch to switch the audio. The common terminal to the top of the volume control through a .047 cap. I used shielded cable for all audio lines.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Ok, thanks.
I've got an email out to Msr. WINTER to see what's up. I've got plenty of volume just no audio. Not a peep. Thanks for confirming the tie-in point.
I'm beginning to think I've got a bad module. Icon_sad

Nice to see you drop by Exray,

Paul B.

Tubetalk1

Bill, you might try disconnecting the audio wire from the module and connecting a signal tracer to see if anything is there. 

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Hello Steve,
I guess I need to order a module and try adding this to one my radios !
Well Bill you may have a bad module because I don't see any reason your tie point would not work .
Nice to see you around .

Sincerely Richard

Hi Rich and Paul.
Mr WINTER responded and simply repeated the calibration procedure which I have done a dozen times.
Now I suspect all the carriers I'm hearing are not actually FM stations but some other QRM.
At least its tuning but maybe not the right range? There's no powerhouse FM stations locally so maybe I need more antenna?
Work in progress...

Hello Bill,
well that sounds like it might be a issue I sure where your living you are fairly Remote if I remember .
Where I live here in Eastern WA. I don't have much of FM either but at night I get AM radio stations as far as Calgary CA.

Sincerely Richard

Problem solved. Self-inflicted as usual. I had tied the tuner connection at a tag on the bandswitch. I thought it disconnected in one position but I thought wrong. So I lifted it and wired it straight.
Now it works!
I'm only copying one station but that's the same as a little handheld FM transistor set here in the shack. Its on 98.7 and falls about where it should mid-range on the dial.

I'm happy to hear you got it working.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes