Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newest project- Radio lamp!!

Here is my latest project...a Radio Lamp Company of America...radio lamp! 

Five tube AC/DC chassis squeezed into the lamp base, with the speaker below the glass shade. They came with a silk shade that sat on top of the glass shade, but sadly I didn't get that with it, so I'll need to find an appropriate replacement.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow.

On the good side, recap should be easy.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello Brad,
Wow I bet you could recap that set in your sleep !!.
I have a radio / lamp but mine is the Mitchell 1260 Lumitone .

Sincerely Richard

Heart Heart

I have always wanted one... Never had the chance to buy one though. 
Are you going to repaint the case?  Icon_twisted

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Those lamps are pretty cool and I like glass on yours, does it light up?  I have one that is very similar:

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Hi Richard,

Yes, it is all re-capped now, with most resistors changed as well...they used cheap dogbone resistors, which were well obsolete by the time this set was produced. I assume they got a good price on old stock parts. All of the dogbones were out of tolerance, some by almost double!

Kirk,
I'm going to attempt to replate it myself (Eeeeeeek!) These came in several finishes, some plated, some painted. From what I can determine, it was the the "Old english bronze" finish, which was flash plated single stage brass, slightly aged, with painted centre and escutcheon. Both of those pieces are a cast materials, so likely not platable.

John,
Yes, that is the same lamp, but different model! Very nice! Yours looks like it's in beautiful condition. Have you restored the chassis?

Brad, my buddy who owned the lamp before me had already restored the chassis right before we swapped.

I wonder if the finish on yours might be salvageable with a lot of elbow grease after the paint is removed. Sometimes (well once or twice), I find the finish under paint or shellac to be in decent shape.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Brad, my eyes.....did that lamp get painted by someone or is that the original finish? 

Paul

Tubetalk1

John,

I thought of that, but the little paint that has chipped off has taken whatever finish was on the parts off with it. So, I doubt I'll be sucessful.

Paul,
Yes, it has been painted. I'm assuming the finish under the paint was in poor condition, so that is most likely why someone painted it.

The plating is an inexpensive one layer "flash" process, which was the cheapest, fastest method at that time to give something a good looking finish. You'll sometimes hear it called "wash", as is copper or bronze wash. Not a very durable finish, however.