Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Motorola 605

Hi everyone,

I have on the bench at the moment a  6 volt Motorola valve car radio Model 605. The valve line up is 6SK7 6SA7 6SK7 6SQ7 6V6 6X5. After some recapping it now goes. I have the schematic only at this stage . However the workings of the permeability tuner and the pushbuttons remain a mystery to me. It works presently on manual tuning, selected by pressing the "M" button on the tuning head.But if anyone is familiar with this set and knows how the buttons are supposed to work and what happens in the set when a non "M"button is pushed could they let me know?Thanks and cheers,

David, I'm not familiar with that radio but on many, one dials manually to the station they desire, then pull out a push button to select and push it back in. Might try that.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I agree with Jerry. On most all the radios back then I've seen you would set the stations as Jerry stated. The button should pull out about half an inch if I recall correctly. Good luck. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hi there, Thanks both for your very prompt and helpful replies . I am familiar with the setup you describe for setting pushbutton station settings. But this set is a little different. The head unit is separate from the set proper and has two cable drives to operate the manual tuning and the volume.There are also ,in the head unit the push buttons which seem to operate switches ( not mechanical pushbars ) which in turn are connected to a multicore cable which goes into the set.They appear to operate some sort of solenoid which pulls round a selector switch though the schematic is not very clear on this.On the schematic a "device" shown below the 6SK7 r.f. amp seems to have a latch of some sort ,a return spring and a carriage plate all connected to a rotary switch which may be energised by a solenoid. I will keep looking.The schematic appears on Radiomuseum under Motorola Model 605.But thank you for your help.

Here is the service info for your radio. It gives the procedure for setting the push button frequencies.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...006703.pdf

Hi Mondial, Thanks so much for this info. I have printed it all off and will head back to the shed and get ready to do battle with this set.I've taken the head unit apart to check the switches therein and got rid of various spiders etc.Hopefully it will go well.Thanks again.