Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Atwater Kent 82, restoration.

This is the AK82 I snatched at the last Kutztown show from an old guy, within 3 minutes of me having arrrived there.

I removed the chassis and snapped some pictures.

As you could see, the radio has been tended to, as the previous owner said; he also claimed it worked. I believe him, but it is not in my habits to turn on radios without having it checked out myself.
The radio was repaired with Philco-Ford capacitors. The original (or what is there pretending to be the origianls) are disconencted.

I also checked the tubed. All are working, but one 35 tube is weak and the other cannot be determined to be eiyther 24A or 35 (they look the same and test pretty much the same). Luckily I have two working good 35 tubes.

The rest will be coming later.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I got curious and looked up the print on Nostalgia Air. Looks like the 82 uses two 35s and one 24. So that is probably your mystery tube. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce

The tube numbers are stamped on the chassis, so there is no mistery. What I mean, without marking on the tube (glass or socket) and people sometimes subbing 24A for 35 I have to go by assuming it is a 35.

I of course could try to see the grid wire spacing, but not sure how well I could tell the difference.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Oh, sorry. I forgot the numbers are stamped on the chassis. Too many radios to remember.

Yeah, the AK chassis are beautiful. STainles steel (or something that is steel and does not rust), with stamped tubes' types and all that. This is the second serious AK I am dealing with, and other than the rubber insulated wire, the chassis are a sheer pleasure to deal with.

Wait until you deal with an AK that has the unitized chassis if you haven't already. Not as bad as a Philco, but even more rubber wiring!

Jayce

I had AK808A restored. I have the thread here somewhere.
Wait, lemme find it. It was the year of 2014

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...light=808a

There are pics or a rubber wire and then of ribber insulation crumbs on my working table.

The AK 82 is a beautiful set and you got a fantastic deal on that one! In fact, we should have done a civilian arrest for stealing, but you had your beer cooler that saved you Icon_e_wink

The AK's do have nice chassis, but I don't think they are stainless, it's some kind of plating. I had an AK 84 once that was a real rust bucket Icon_eek

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

A-K chassis is heavily nickle plated steel.

Sometimes the plating is porous and there will be rust. In other examples the plating can be polished to a high luster. I once did a chassis up restore of an A-K 55, because of a filter cap meltdown, wax everywhere. Came out really shiny, close rival to a Scott. The chassis was for an A-K Kiel table, so clearly a showpiece.

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Chas

The book "AK 1929 catalog says"

"... All steel parts are either cadmium and nickel plated or they are enameled andbaked in immense automatic ovens."

The color looks more cadmium to me (it has a yellowish hue and is not high gloss / reflective).

So, yes, probably not stainless steel. Cadmium is, what they call, a "sacrificial coating" which will oxydized before the steel. Maybe this is why all the chassis' I've seen in AK are so spotless.

Don't forget to check, and replace the wiring on the power transformer, this is why may of these A-K transformers fail, insulation falls off, high voltage wiring shorts to chassis, and a smoke show follows. Russ is the guy to ask about these.
Regards
Arran

Arran,

Yes, I did exactly that with my AK808A. I used colored heatshrink tubes to restore insulation.

Here it is. Year 2014.

Set the chassis on the Simon's holding fixture.

All the wirewound resistors, including flexibles, are right on the money. The Bias resistors (old style dogbones) are within 10%.
Most rubber wires are pliable; very few are cracked in a place or two. Most wires are cloth-covered.
Volume pot is good.
Tomorro more will come.

Mike,

When I find rubber insulated wire with only a crack or two I try coating it with liquid insulation.

Sounds like a sweet one to work on.

Hello Morzh ,
What a nice-looking chassis I would grabbed it too .

Sincerely Richard
P.S. I have an AK console to restore .