Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Predicta Lens Polishing

Who likes what product & what method to polish the picture tube lenses?

Novus Plastic Polish seems to be a good product, right?
I know they offer 3 different levels of polish.

Should the polishing (with whatever product) be done 100% by hand?
Or is a drill motor polish ok?

I have 3 Predicta sets that could all use some polishing.
Oh....And they all smell wonderful upon polishing; right?
(that part is sarcasm)

Thanks!

Matt Allyn

There is a Phiclo Predicta group on Facebook.
Some of the same folks, but they frequent it more often.

Due to higher concentration of Predicta fans, you might have your answer sooner there.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

But then I would have to actually join the Facebook; which I never have ?!
Thanks!

Matt Allyn

Facebook is a tool.
I am there anonymously. Not making friends and such, or sharing my life. I joined because this was the way to contact cat rescue group. Then I discovered antique radio groups, and this is extra contacts with people who might be of help to you, or you might be of help to them.

You know.

Alle Dinge sind Gift, und nichts ist ohne Gift, allein die Dosis macht dass ein Ding kein Gift ist.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello morzh,
Agreed and to answer the other person's answer I would do it by hand There is a member that I know who specializes in Predicta sets and my personal experience I never use power buffers for something like that only by hand .

Sincerely Richard

Hi and welcome,

I have two questions for you. Are you trying to get rid of light scratches? Or are you hoping to lighten the yellow/brown patina it's acquired over the last 60 yrs?

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I polish by hand with Novus #2 being my main weapon of choice. I polish by hand to avoid rubbing off the Predicta logo or slipping and causing damage.

The Tenite plastic these are made from slowly decomposes and builds up a waxy layer. It also appears that UV damage alters the color as well. You can see in the edge shot how much greener it is where it was protected. Just a light polishing by hand will not bring the color back. I'm not sure if i's the plastic that has discolored or the underlying paint has been effected. I would certainly be interesting to see one of these restored to a bright green color, but I have yet to see it done.

There is a small group of restorerers working on getting reproductions made overseas using injection molding and a more stable plastic.
Start up costs are considerable but at least we are exploring options.

Here are some photos of one I did last night.
[Image: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/5244...bdf9_c.jpg]

All of these products work, but Novus #2 is the best in my experience.
Plexo does not polish, but does help mask the odor.
[Image: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/5244...9df1_c.jpg]

[Image: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/5244...b044_c.jpg]

Thank you for this Bob. The reproduction project of the lenses is an exciting & wishful prospect! I would want 3 lenses all in Icon_smile.
I do understand the start up costs may not allow it to come to fruition; but here's hoping!

Matt Allyn