Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Argentine Philco 37-93

A friend sent me a pic of an Argentine-made Philco 37-93. This photo isn't his actual radio, though, but its the same cabinet - and same faded dial. The dial is stationized for the major Argentine stations which was very customary there. We're going to try to recreate it.

-Bill

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

exray Wrote:...We're going to try to recreate it.

The dial, or the entire radio? Icon_wink

That is a cool cabinet. It's nice to see some of the sets Philco sent (or built) overseas, like the 37-620EZ being discussed over in that other forum. Personally, I think some of these export models had nicer cabinets than the plain Jane domestics with their photofinish.

Thank you for sharing, Bill! Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

My buddy Mario received the radio today. A few more pix...

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Comments from Mario for posterity...
Quote:The cabinet is made in Argentina (see labels) and it is the first time I hear about this manufacturer "Oscar De Maerschalk" it would be interesting to find other Philco radios with cabinets made by him. We here knew for a fact that in the 40's and 50's Philco imported the chassis for the consoles and purchased the furniture locally to a manufacturer called "Jorcin" but this the first time I see this name in cabinet radios.

Also note the Philco nametag which says Philco Argentina SA and the sticker in the upper right corner of the cabinet that says "Un Instrumento Musical de Calidad" This is also new, the only Philco Argentina radios I've seen before this one are the "Tropic" models...

Neat looking set Bill. I assume they use the same AM band as here? Hopefully someone will have a set with a good dial they can scan for you.

The jury is still out on this dial. There may have been some local overprinting in red that has disappeared - or maybe we're seeing ghosts Icon_smile Stationized dials were very common in Argentina, much moreso than in the US. Yes, same AM band.

Nice set. Is that the original grill cloth . Icon_biggrin