Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Have had this television since I was 12 what model is it?

So when I was a kid by best friends father had this set which was his families 1st back in the 50s. When I was younger I damaged the plug on the picture tube and have been looking to find a replacement but there are no numbers except for a GE tag on the CRT. Id like to see if we can determine its model so I can then search the forum for a replacement CRT and possibly someone near the new york area that still works on these and would be willing to take mine in to test and see what it needs to get going. The TV is a model 52-T2142. Thanks everyone and glad to have found this forum            

So I actually found the model number underneath. Never thought to look there. Its a 52-T2142. Would love a lead on a new CRT and someone who still works on them to assist in resurrecting this beauty! Thanks Guys!

Hello Brian ,
Nice Set Have you posted on the Antique tv museum for a tube ?

Sincerely Richard

Richard. No Antique TV?  I haven't heard of it. One person I was trying with about a year ago who sells picture tubes on ebay said he couldn't tell what tube I had without a number off the old one. Me being a novice I thought I was lost after that. Is it possible for someone to know the model and be able to get a replacement?

Welcome to the Phorum, Brian! Back in my youth there was a corner-store shop that did nothing but rebuild picture tubes. You might want to search for rebuilding services. You are dealing with very potent voltages with televisions, and the set will need a complete 'going-through' and can get pricey very quick. Others here with more knowledge than myself regarding televisions can help with your questions. Take care, and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hi Brian and welcome,

I dug around a bit and found this free manual for a model very close to yours https://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/phil..._179-9.pdf  If you are a FB member there is a vintage tv group. There might be someone nearby that can help you out.

GL w/your new project!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Gary. Yes im aware of how deadly these can be. Im looking for both a replacement PT didnt know they actually could be rebuilt. Anyone you know still working on these. I get that it could get pricey but ive had her this long she deserves a shot at coming back to life. I can hear reception when she's hooked up through the speaker but obviously no picture. I will try the FB route as well. If any thing comes to mind on model 52-T2142 please let me know. And thank you for your time

Thanks Radio Roslyn. I take it you're also here on long island?   I'm eastern suffolk county. I downloaded the manual you sent.  Thank you for that. If you know anyone here on the island who still has the knowledge and is willing to bench check her for me please let me know. I knew for a fact I broke a prong off the rear of the CRT so was figuring to start there with finding a replacement.

Hi Brian,

First off, please be careful handling this TV, as CRTs (Picture Tubes) are under extremely high vacuum, break rather easily, and, especially your type, can severely lacerate a person from flying glass. Please wear appropriate safety goggles and face shield, gloves and heavy clothing.

Do you have the back for the TV? If not, make one, complete with a covering for the CRT Neck Many thanks for coming up with the model and many thanks to Terry "Radio Roslyn" (Roslyn PA, not Roslyn LI NY). for posting the schematic! Your CRT is a 21EP4, a relatively rare "cylindrical" face tube. Most are spherical tubes. A spherical tube can replace a cylindrical tube. This is all moot because there is almost no one except the Early Television Museum that rebuilds CRTs. ETM was going to attempt to rebuild tubes. I don't know if they were successful. Google them.

The big question is do you really need to replace it. The fact that the "base" (the black thing with the pins is loose or cracked is not the death of the tube. The soldering iron and booster assembly laying in the set are not good signs however.

If you have not powered up the set, don't do so unless you have a variac or very carefully watch the back of the set for flashing in the 5U4 rectifier. You can remove the 5U4 and power the set up (only filament power will be supplied). The set should be dusted. Being inherently lazy, I bring my sets outside and take an electric leaf blower and soft bristled brush to them.

Do you have any electronic experience? Do you have a meter? Remove the connector and ohm between pins 1 and 12 (these are the pins on either side of the "key" on the base cap. You should get a low reading. If you do, carefully fit the connector back on the base all the way (again, face protection, gloves and heavy clothing!

I live in Greenlawn (a hamlet in Huntington) LI, NY, but at this point I cannot take on a project like this. I am still working for another few months and have no room in my house to take on this project. If I do, Ms. Fixr will do bodily harm to your set, do bodily harm to me, and will then leave. I also have some health issues. However, I will be happy to help via the forum and may eventually be able to do a House call.

Good luck!

John, MrFixr55

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

WOW John BIG help. Unfortunately when I was about 15 we were moving the set and the person helping me hit the plug on the back and it pulled off. Now the small wires that go directly into the glass, yeah one of those broke off flush. The booster assembly was on it when I got it back in 89 Funny that soldering iron has been in there for over 30 years!  Cannot believe you had or knew the tube number thats a great first start. Thank you for clarifying Roslyn PA from Roslyn LI, and BIG thanks to Terry for the schematic but Greenlawn im very familiar with. I am mechanically and electrically inclined but know my limitations and remember discharging the static on the CRT when I was a kid. Yeah that zap stayed with me over 30 years lol. Nothing to joke about but learned really quick that it was best to find someone to work on it. Life then took over wife, kids, house, work all took precedence....but I never gave up on her, and still wont which is how I found my way here. Yes I have the back of the TV and its normally on it and away from anyone but me to touch it. Fully understand on your Ms Fixr not wanting "another one" to find its way to your door. I would ask that if you could keep me in mind when things may clear for you as you're so close to me id love for someone with the right knowledge to help get her back working again. The chassis and everything are as it was when it was put in the attic in Babylon in the mid 60s and she's followed me through 4 homes and has always been in a climate controlled environment as to not damage the components or the cabinet. Im going to scour the web and see if I can find a CRT replacement (about 25 years ago I came across another Philco set and the CRT was good but just a smidgen larger. Still have that on a shelf as I thought ahhhh you never know when it could be traded or given to someone for use)  I so appreciate the responses since posting wish I had found this forum sooner.  Again please keep me in mind as I'd really love to get her working again. Sadly my childhood friends father whos set this was passed away but I know somehow he gave me the nudge to start looking again. Thank you again. 

Brian

That's a very nice set there. It's good to see it hasn't been a rodent motel or rust monster! That picture tube is probably bad even before you cracked the socket. Any time you see a brightener (booster) on one, it's almost for sure a dead player. It looks like a 21" as mentioned earlier. I don't think ETF is rebuilding tubes yet and who knows if they ever will. I've got a few I'd like to get revived, but probably never happen. Punch your number on eBay search and save it. They do come up from time to time. Patience is key. I've found a couple by doing that, one I'd been looking for over 30 years! Finally found a NOS, then a year later a couple popped up good used so I grabbed one. Should've gotten both, but didnt really need the 2nd one. It's possible I might have one in a literal "barn find". Cabinet is shot but it's intact. I'd need to test it and see if it's good. I kinda wanted to resurrect it just for the challenge before I sold the tube tho, and I could need it for another set I have. I also have one I found in an abandoned house and brought home. It's in decent shape but was a rodent motel. Too bad you're not closer, I'd check things for you and see what kind of life's in there.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Ahhhhh Tim you and the guys have given me hope!  I did exactly what you suggested and saved the searches on ebay. As soon as John said the same on the brightner I think your exactly right. I do remember when I 1st got the set the rear clear section of the tube lit up had sound but no picture on the front. Im going to do it! I'm going to get her back to working order and I have new life thanks you you all. You never know someone on here may have the CRT I need and possibly would reach out. Im one of these people who sees a challenge and pushes at all cost to get to the finish line!  I will continue to search for this as shes paid her dues and deserves the effort.  So appreciate you reaching out I cant say enough about everyone giving me that next piece of information I need to get her going.  Thanks again Tim!

I'm glad to see you have personal reasons to restore this set. Sadly, many look at vintage equipment and imagine making megabucks on the sale of the restored item. With few exceptions, this is not the case. Television, and radio restoration should not be for profits' sake, but to preserve the past. Good luck, and keep posting your project. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

After further review I found a Sam's that is closer to your set. The previous one the p/s is a soild state w/a 6v filament transformer. This one uses a pair of 5U4G's like your set. The tube line up is a bit different too. https://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/phil...132-10.pdf  There is another Photofact ( 190-1) listed but I can't find a pic of the cover to see if it jives with yours.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Gary fully agree 100%