Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Clock

This clock will be at an Estate Sale in Grand Rapids Michigan this Thursday, price unknown.

https://www.estatesales.net/MI/Grand-Rap..._term=4945

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Looks like someone replaced the original chassis with a 1937 model. At least it's still a Philco chassis so that's a plus

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

If this is wjat they did, good job. And will sound heck of a lot better than 570.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

It started out as a 1931 model 570 grandfather clock

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Whoever did the cabinet work did an amazing fit of that chassis. Agree with Mike, should sound a lot better. Grand Rapids is on the other side of the state; a little over two hours away. Tempting, but I've got NO room for a grandfather clock! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

The only thing I would do is try to hide the oversized shaft holes in the cabinet. My solution would be appropriately sized thick dark brown felt washers on the shafts between the cabinet and knobs. Not original, but quick and easy way to hide the openings. Just my thought... any other suggestions? Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Well, an easy mod for 570 is: replace the Plate Detector with a diode, and replace the speaker's cone and spider. Will lose some sensitivity, but these radios in GF towers are not the ones people sit in front DXing all night long. A local BC station would be enough for a nice demo to a gaping-mouthed guest.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.