Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-2670 radio set

hello Guys

How are you since so long time ?

Well , do you know this model ref " 38-2670 " . I do not find it in the gallery .

Thanks in advance for reply

regards

Attached Files Image(s)

Greetings Claude;
I think that the model 38-2670 was the long wave equipped version of the model 38-670. Obviously that example was an export version of the 38-2670 since it has a tapped primary on the power transformer to accommodate 240 volt AC mains, as well as a brass plate on the read of the chassis that a U.S version would not have. Interesting tubes used in that set, they look like metal-glass types, the originals would have been glass shouldered type tubes. I don't know about Philco's 1938 export models but the U.S and Canadian models had a very annoying base for the tube shields that would not allow you to use anything but glass tubes in those sockets, the metal, and even glass tubular tubes has bases that were too wide. It's not uncommon to see sets where the tube shield bases were hacked up, or removed outright, likely during the war years when there were parts shortages.
Regards
Arran

Good evening Arran

and thanks for so quick reply and explanations Icon_wink

unfortunately I am not the owner of the radio so I have no more details . It is proposed too far from  my home and the vendor do not want to ship it !

cordially

There is one of those 38-2670B variants pictured in the Gallery:

https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1938a/#Model_38-2670B

Someone sent me that photo many years ago when I was putting together the Philco book. I've never seen a cabinet with that grille opening, and this is only the second one I've ever seen a photo of.

Oh, and Philco did not make a 38-670 in the 1938 season, only 38-2670.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Ron

Thanks for reply . I had seen the variant in the gallery with a different ornemental front .

cordially

Claude

The set in the gallery has been refinished without toners. In the photo you posted in post #1 above, the set appears to retain its original finish.

I don't know why some of these sets have different grille cutouts. As I mentioned, there is no documentation of the variant that I have ever seen.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN